Chapter 42

"It's not safe for you here. What do you want?" Octavia asks Roan as he pulls off his hood. He knew he wasn't supposed to leave the tower without his guards. "I need you to handle something for me. The way you handled ambassador Rafael. We should speak alone" he adds as Indra walks towards us. "If you can't trust Indra, you can't trust me" Octavia tells him. He pauses for a minute before he keeps talking "the flame has been stolen" he whispers. "How? When?" I ask. "Just now from my quarters. While I was training" Roan explains. "How can you be so careless" Indra seethes. "We need to lock down this city and search every one" Octavia suggests. "We can't. If word gets out that he's lost the flame, the other clans will question his rule, Trikru loudest of all" Indra explains. "Then I'll be forced to answer their questions with my army" Roan tells Indra. "Or we can just find it. Where do I start?" Octavia asks grabbing her jacket and throwing it on. "Whoever did this got in and out of the tower without being seen. In order to risk that she'd have to care more about the flame than her own life" "she?" Octavia asks. "the new flame keeper" Roan explains. "Perhaps you should look closer to home. You're not exactly beloved" Indra tells him. "My people want an Ice Nation king" Roan tells her. "The ambassadors don't" "the ambassadors are cowards and know I'd have their heads, the keepers of the flame-fanatics. I'd do it myself but my guards won't let me out of their sight" Roan says nodding to the guards I hadn't noticed before. "I'll handle it" Octavia says grabbing her sword and walking away. "You think Echo would train me?" I ask turning to Roan. I had nothing better to do so why not learn some more moves. "Tell her I order her to" he says with a slight smile. I grin and walk towards the tower. As I leave I hear Roan say to Indra "what's wrong? You've created two killers in the street they're calling them Skairipa and Strik gona. Death from above and little warrior" "I can only take credit for one, Lincoln taught Ash nearly everything she knows. He was the one who gave her the nickname" Indra replies. Roan wasn't wrong people do call me that. Most people in polis don't know my name and the nickname carved into my sword is what they call me.

"Echo" I say walking into her room where she is sitting sharpening her sword. "What do you want child I am busy" she tells me. "Roan said you have to train me" I tell her. "Roan said that?" She asks. "Yup. Told me tell you it was an order" I say popping the p. "Well tell him I have better things to do than train a child who knows nothing about fighting" she says. "I know a lot about fighting" I tell her as I cross my arms. She smirks, "fine. Show me what you got". Echo grabs her sword and swings it near my head, I quickly pull out my own sword and block her with ease. She swings again and I duck, quickly kicking her leg out from underneath her, knocking her to the floor. "Ok, you're better than I thought I'll give you that, but you can improve" Echo tells me.

For the next few hours Echo shows me how to get better at fighting hand to hand, she also tells me how to shoot a bow and arrow. I prefer sword fighting or throwing knives, but she said it's good to know how to use multiple weapons incase I don't have access to what I normally use. "Ok you're done for the day go find Octavia" Echo tells me. I nod and head off to the tower pulling my hair into two braids as I go.

"Hi Tavia. Is that a head?" I ask as she walks towards the throne room with a large round object wrapped in a cloth. "Yup" she confirms before pushing the doors open. "Leave us" Roan orders his guards as Octavia and I walk towards him. O sets the cloth down and show Roan the severed head "he was one of the looters. You were wrong about the flame keeper" she tells him. I'm pretty sure she's lying but I'm not about to question that in front of Roan. "And the flame?" The king asks quietly. "Destroyed before I could kill him. I'm sorry" Octavia apologizes as she drops the pieces into his hand. Roan throws what used to be the spirit of the commanders into a fire "it will be more dangerous now. More people will have to die to keep me in power, not that that bothers either of you, Skairipa, Strik Gona". "People fell in line behind the flame, now they'll fall in line behind the sword" Octavia says, her face free of emotion. "Let's hope Clarke finds a way to save us before they have to. Get out" Roan tells us. Once we are out of earshot I whisper to Octavia "it wasn't the looter was it? Who is the new flame keeper and why did you protect them?" I ask. "The flame keeper is Indra's daughter. I couldn't do that to Indra. How was your day?" O asks me. "Good. Echo taught me how to shoot a bow and arrow" I tell her. "Nice" she says stiffly, I know she doesn't like Echo very.

Sorry this is shorter than normal. You got a small sneak peak at the relationship that I plan Echo and Ash to have.