Chapter 35

"Becca's journal is amazing. At 26 she found a pathway to access a human mind. That same year she had to lock Ali up because her answer for what was wrong with the world was too many people. She was 27 when it launched the bombs" Raven tells us as we near Arkadia. "What did she write about the flame?" Clarke asks, turning around in her seat. "Ali 2.0. She saw it as a way to atone for her sins. She designed it to not just access a human mind, but to merge with one. It could never wipe us out because it would be one of us. She would put it in herself first, altered her genes so her body wouldn't reject the implant" Raven explains. Clarke nods "Bekka Pramheda, the first commander. The gene therapy made her blood black, didn't it?" "Yeah" Raven says looking up from the notebook. "How did you know?" Octavia asks Clarke. "Night blood. That's where it came from. Somehow it became hereditary. Luna has it. That's why we have to find her. If she can access Ali 2" "she can tell us how to stop Ali 1" I finish. "Bekka Pramheda gets her second shot at atonement" Sinclair adds. "Get back to the mind pathway. If Ali uses it to upload our minds to the city of light, then there's a chance my mom is still alive" Monty says looking up from the chip he's holding. Raven hesitates before saying "that depends on your definition of alive". "Eyes sharp. Weapons hot. We're almost home" Bellamy tells us. He picks up the radio "Miller come in. Harper you there? Your rides two minutes out" he says but no body answers.

We get to the gate but it is still broken. Arkadia looks empty, almost like they deserted it. "We left two days ago. Why haven't they fixed the gate?" Clarke asks. "Maybe cuz there's no one here to fix it" Jasper tells her. "It's like a ghost town" I add. Miller, Bryan, and Harper still aren't answering. "Let's get the book and get the hell out of here" I hear Octavia say. "That's a plan I can support" Jasper agrees. We pull into the garage and get out of the rover. "It's like they just got up and walked away" I say, looking at the half eaten plates of food. "We're in and out. Pack as much gear as you can into the rover" Bellamy tells us. "I'll get the map" Octavia walks away. "I'll go with her. No one should be alone" Jasper follows her. "I'm going to grab my leg sheath, the strap on my back one is breaking" I tell them as I start to walk away. "I'll go with you" Bellamy says. "I'll be fine Bellamy, I have my sword, my knife, and my gun" I tell him. I go back to my room and take of my sheath, the strap got caught on something and is falling apart. I grab my other sheath and buckle it around my waist. I'm about to grab my sword when I hear an unfamiliar voice behind me. "So how is it being free on the ground, you know that's all my people wanted, but your people slaughtered them" I whip around to see Carl Emerson, the mount weather guard and the lady mountain man. He has a gun pointed right between my eyes. I reach behind my back for my gun. I need to distract him, I didn't bring a radio with me. I can't think of anything else so I simply answer his question "You know, they say the ground was the dream, but it's not, it's a fucking nightmare" I tell him. I take out my gun and try to shoot him, but before I can he slams the butt of his rifle into my stomach, causing me to let go of the gun as I kneel over. I try to grab the blade from my boot, but as soon as he sees it he slams the gun into my head. I hear the clank of my knife hitting the ground as I fall. The only thing I can think of as my eyes flutter close is "why is it always my head".

"Ash. Ash. Wake up" I flinch as Harper lightly nudges me in the stomach with her foot. My ribs ache and my head is spinning. "Sorry, but you weren't waking up". I look around and realize we are in an airlock. All of us except Clarke, Bellamy, and Sinclair. My hands are cuffed behind my back and a piece of cloth is in my mouth.

After a few minutes I hear footsteps. Clarke is walking towards us with her hands in the air. "I held up my part of the deal. Your turn. Let my fiends go" What deal is she talking about. "Tell Bellamy to show himself first" Emerson demands. "I don't know what you're talking abou" Clarke stops talking when Emerson grabs Octavia. Bellamy walks forwards with a gun raised "no". Emerson tilts Octavia's head back and puts a knife up to her neck. "Good. Now take out the clip, throw it down the hall, put the gun on the ground and get inside" he tells Bellamy. Octavia shakes her head no at him. "Please. You wanted me. I'll get inside once you let them go" Clarke says. He's not just going to let us go, he lost over three hundred people. "I was talking to Bellamy" Emerson says lightly slicing a line into Octavia's chest. "Okay. Okay. Just stop" Bellamy yells as he puts the gun down. He walks into the airlock and locks a pair of hand cuffs around his wrists. Emerson leaves the airlock and shuts the door. He grabs Clarke and pushes her up against the door. I can see their lips moving but I can't hear what they are saying. Emerson has a gun against her head. The lights in the airlock turn red and a warning goes out that the oxygen is venting. I cough as I realize I can't breathe, the gag in my mouth isn't making it any easier. My head falls over as I fall unconscious.

I cough as oxygen fills my lungs. Clarke had opened the door to the airlock and Emerson was dying. What happened to him, I do not know. Clarke unlocks Bellamy and Octavia. Octavia quickly in cuffs me.

Sinclair was killed by Emerson, we burned his body along with Lincoln's. I have my weapons back now and Clarke checked on my ribs. She said they were bruised, but I would be ok. Raven, Monty, Miller, Harper, and Bryan are staying in Arkadia while the rest of us head off to find Luna. Raven is going to try and access Ali from the Ark mainframe. I get into the rover and we leave.