Chapter 20

We went back to camp. Clarke stayed in Tondc while Lincoln took Bellamy to mount weather so he could be the man on the inside. "Open the gate" a guard yells as the gate is opened and a group of grounders led by Indra walks in. "Heads high. Eyes sharp. Remember we are the ones with a thousand warriors in the woods" I hear her tell the others. I walk into where the meeting is being held. Kane doesn't like me being involved but I won't start listening to him now. I walk over to stand next to Octavia. "Don't worry my shock baton's got your back" a creepy old guard whispers to us. "How about I stick it up your ass instead?" Octavia asks as I make a face at him and walk towards Murphy. I'll take crazy over pervy any day. "I know we don't have a lot in common, but we do have a common enemy and a common goal. And for us to reach it, to get our people out of mount weather we have to work together. Together. Sky people and tree people" Kane finishes in trig. "You got a problem?" Murphy asks. I look up to see a grounder glaring at Murphy as he approaches us. "You stood there watching while my village was massacred." He says. I roll my eyes knowing Murphy didn't understand a word of that. "I'm sorry man. I don't speak grounder." He says with a smirk. The man spills something on Murphy who pushes him. Dumb asses. "Mr. Murphy. Apologize to that man." Kane orders. "For what. He was the one who came at me" Murphy asks. "Two days work detail." "Work detail? I just told you I didn't" "care to make it three?"  Murphy shakes his head and goes to walk away when the man leans in and quietly says "you're gonna burn just like your friend". Murphy turns around and punches him in the face. People start pushing and fighting while Kane and Tavia try to break them up.

Now we were outside training. I walk up to Kane. "I want to train my shoulder is fine" I tell him. He sighs and motions a guard over to teach me hand to hand. "Here give it all you got" the guard says loudly opening his arms as if I wouldn't actually hit him. I smirk and take off my sword sheath handing it to Kane. All of the grounders were looking at us by now and the guard is giving me a stupid smile. Like I'm a weak little kid. I bring up my knee and drive it into his crouch, before he can react I grab his arm and throw him over my shoulder. With a foot on his neck to keep him down I grab my dagger and point it at his face. He's crying out in pain and all eyes are on me. Most of the grounders look amused. I turn around and grab my sheath attaching it my hip. I look behind me and see Octavia walking over with a proud smile. "Hey Kane. Find me someone to fight that won't start sobbing before I can even get a hit in" I tell him before walking away. Octavia tries to fight with the grounders but Indra won't let her.

Octavia stops the grounders as they go to hunt. "Time for one more?" She asks. "Step aside sky girl we are hungry" "make me" Octavia challenges. "Fio, give this girl what she wants" Indra says. Octavia and Fio circle each other, swords drawn. "Sir?" One of the guards asks. "It's alright. Let her go" Kane tells them. Fio knocks Octavia down multiple times but each time she gets back up. "Indra stop this" Kane orders but she doesn't listen. Everyone looks in shock as Octavia gets up after what they thought would be the last time she fell down. Fio goes to attack again but is stopped by Indra. Kane takes O to medical. I pull out my sword with a smirk on my face and walk over to Indra. "My turn" I say to them. Fio laughs loudly. "What scared I'll win" I ask in trig. He stops laughing "I could snap you in half like a twig" he tells me. I study him for a second, he is almost two feet taller and a hundred pounds heavier than me, but I could win. "I've killed stronger men than you". "I am stronger than the fool who tried to kill you in front of the commander" he tells me. I pull out my sword and swing it around "that man wasn't my first kill, and he won't be my last" I tell him. He grabs his sword off the ground and swings at me. I easily block it, his style is predictable, especially after watching him fight Octavia. We continue like that for a few minutes. I quickly block his sword and hit him in the stomach with the handle of my sword. We keep fighting until Fio finally manages to knock me down. He brings his sword down to my neck but I instinctively grab it to push it away. I realize my mistake when the blade slices into my hand. I let go and instead bring my foot up kicking the sword out of his reach. I quickly get up and hit him in the back of the leg causing him to collapse. Indra had just stood there the whole time. Fio gets up to continue the fight when she stops him "enough. Even a fool knows when to give up" she tells him. I look down at my hand that was dripping blood and head over to the med bay. A girl is patching up Octavia. I head over to the drawers and rummage through them until I find alcohol and a bandage. I quickly clean and bandage my hand so it doesn't get infected. I look over to see Indra walk in. "What do you want?" Tavia sighs. "You fought like a child today. All aggression. No thought, no defense. Always leaving yourself exposed. Revealing your move before the next strike" Indra tells her. "Ok I know I got my ass kicked. That should make you happy." "It does. Because you did not give up. Strength of spirit like that is rare it must be guided. Do you know what a warriors second is?" Indra asks. "An apprentice." "I can make you a great warrior Octavia of the sky people. If you're willing to do what it takes to become my second." "What's in it for you?" O asks. "First lesson never question me." "Okay. I'm in. And Ash what did you do to your hand?" Octavia asks turning to me. Indra turns to face her. "She finished your fight. Knocked Fio down. I must say Lincoln taught her well he is lucky to have her as a second" She tells O. Octavia turns to me with a proud smile "well he didn't start calling you strik gona for nothing" she says.

After a few minutes Octavia and I head outside to grab food. "Eat. Get strong. Only then will we win this war." Indra says as she hands Kane a plate of food. A grounder hands me a plate "good job beating Fio, you really destroyed his reputation" she says with a smile. "Mochof" I thank her. I walk over to Octavia and Kane. "You did this" he tells her. "You're welcome. Don't blow it" she says. Fio walks up to Octavia and hands her a plate "the boar but up a better fight than you" he says. I notice him eyeing me carefully. "Boo" I yell jumping up. He flinched back slightly and walks away. Octavia looks at me before going back to her food. "I see you're making friends". Octavia pauses for a second before turning to Kane "what do you want from me?" She asks. "What do you think is going to happen once we get your friends back. For now we have a common goal, but one day this war is going to end. What then." "Just get to your point" I tell him, annoyed by his stalling. "We know so little about them. You two have earned their respect. I need you to be my eyes and ears." He explains. "You're asking us to be spies?" "I'm asking you to look out for your people". "We are. Come on Ash, let's finish eating then bedtime" Octavia tells me as we walk towards Indra. Normally I would ignore when someone tells me to go to bed, but Octavia is one of the few people I actually listen to.