Chapter 30

"Pikes detail is still at it. Soil and water samples" Octavia tells Kane. "Any idea what they're up to?" He asks. "No, but considering how heavily they're armed, I don't think they want anyone to find out" I tell him as I peak over the top of the log we are hiding behind. "Shit" I whisper. "What is it?" "There's a grounder kid. Hang on" Octavia tells him. Hannah tries to call the boy over but he looks scared. "Octavia, Ash please respond" Kane says. The boy runs and the guards chase after him. Octavia and I jump over the log and try to find the boy. "Are you there?" Kane asks again. "They're going after the kid we're trying to cut them off" I say into the earpiece. I run through the woods trying to find the boy while also staying away from the people chasing him. Octavia and I end up splitting up. I quickly hide behind a tree when Hannah and a guard walk past me. "Kane" I hear Octavia say through her earpiece. "Are you ok?" He asks. "We need to find out what Pike is up to" She tells him. "Right now. Whatever it is, they were willing to kill a kid to keep it quiet" I add. "We are on it. You two stay safe" he tells us. I quickly find Tavia and head off. Octavia and I listen to Pikes meeting. Miller planted a bug and Kane can hear what's going on as well. They're talking about soil, good for planting and better than anything we've found before now. Apparently where this good soil is there is also a village. Which means Pike is going to kill more people. It sounds like Monty and Bellamy don't want to kill them. At least Bellamy isn't completely crazy. Monty, I was surprised to hear is with Pike, but he probably just wants to impress his mom. He should come to his senses at one point, hopefully soon. The village they are going after is the one the boy is from. Octavia and I look at each other as we hear Bellamy say he'll do what needs to be done.

I turn around and pull out my sword when I hear something, Octavia does the same. We're hiding in a cave. "Finally where's my horse?" Octavia asks when we see that it's just Miller. "Outside nice to see you too. Octavia wait a second. Do you actually think that a bunch of grounders are going to give up their homes because you ask them to?" He asks her. "If it's that or being wiped out, maybe". "Okay then what if they don't leave? Then we are leading our people into an ambush. Maybe if you just talked to your brother" "my brother is on the wrong side" Octavia says cutting him off. "So what then we don't even try?" "What do you think happens when Lexa finds out that Skaikru massacred another grounder village?" I ask him. He pauses for a second "war. More dead friends". I nod "stop the attack. Stop a war" I tell him before Octavia and I head off on her horse. It would have looked suspicious if Miller had brought two horses.

We ride into the village and everyone looks at us. "I mean you no harm" O says and we both jump off the horse holding our arms up to show that we don't plan to hurt them. "Liar. I've seen your face. You were at the battle of the mountain. They're Skaikru. Your guns killed our brothers and sisters, warriors sent by the commander to keep you safe" a man that is probably the leader tells us. "I'm sorry for your loss, but I'm here to warn you that the soldiers who did that are coming here now. They want your land and they will kill all of you to get it. You need to leave this place right now" Octavia warns them. "Are you threatening us" the man asks attacking Octavia with his staff. I get the staff away from him and say "we are trying to help" "why should we believe you?" He asks. "Because she helped me, Semet" the boy who Octavia saved says. "You're the one who saved Gavriel" Semet asks. Octavia nods and I throw him the staff. "Don't leave" he tells us. "You couldn't have said something before I got kicked in the face?" Octavia asks Gavriel.

I grab Octavia's arm and motion my head. She stops her conversation with Semet and looks over. The grounders are covering tied up sticks in a poisonous sap that burns you. We walk towards them as we try to figure out what they are doing. "What is this?" Octavia asks. "You think you know us? You know nothing girl" Semet says as a man hits Octavia in the head knocking her unconscious. "Oh hell no" I say grabbing my gun. Before I can do anything Semet swings his cane hard at my face. I wince as my eyes slowly shut and blood trickles down my cheek, my gun long forgotten on the floor.

I drift in and out of consciousness for a few hours. I remember hearing screams and smelling smoke but other than that, nothing. I finally gain consciousness and realize we are walking somewhere.