Chapter 19

there's a flashback in the scene

I hate her, I hate her, I hate her, I hate her-

Why am I thinking about her now?

It's Penelope's fault. It's all her fault.

I hate her.

I wanted to sleep. I desperately wanted to sleep but ever since Penelope contacted me, I couldn't stop thinking about it. I'm tired.

"How're you doing?" Penelope asked with a kind smile.

"Fine." I answered quietly.

"This is our third session together, are you starting to get used to it now?" Nodding silently, I focused on the rips in my jeans. "How's school going for you? You just started your first year of college, that must be exciting."

"It's okay. There's other hybrids in my art class."

"Yeah?" She smiled. "That's great, hopefully you can make friends with them. It's always nice to have someone you can relate to." I nodded silently. "You just switched universities so it's a good time to start over and make new friends."

"Yeah."

"Was there anything you wanted to talk about today?"

"No." I denied.

"That's okay. I had a few questions and if you feel comfortable answering, we can do that. If not, you can just tell me about your day."

Mom would probably be upset if she knew I just sat here and talked about my day. "You can ask whatever you want."

She flipped through her notepad for a moment. "I wanted to talk a little bit about your senior year in high school. From what you told me last time, there was this girl you liked, correct?"

"Yeah." I ripped a thread from my jeans. "Her name's Jamie."

"Jamie." She wrote the name down with a nod. "And what did you like about Jamie?"

"I don't know, I just liked her."

"There was nothing special that made you like her? Nothing that stood out about her?"

"I liked the way she dressed."

"And what about her personality?"

"We only talked a couple times. I never got to know her." I answered, wanting to be anywhere but here. "She told me she had someone she liked already."

Checking her notes, "You got her flowers, didn't you? Was that before or after she told you she liked someone?"

"I never gave them to her, my mom stopped me, but after."