Chapter 31

Chet called his mom this morning

Chet called his mom this morning. It was was hard and he had to force himself five separate times to do it. He wanted to call his sister too but he couldn't, it was too much all at once.

_

Rylan groaned quietly and rolled out of bed when his doorbell rang. He wasn't sure if it was the first time or perhaps the third. Kyler slept like a log while he slipped Kyler's shirt on, along with his own boxers, and went to answer the door.

He somehow knew it would be Chet before he opened the door. Nobody else would bother him at seven in the fucking morning.

As tired as Rylan was, when he saw Chet standing there in all his 6'5 glory, he smiled. "Chet~" Rylan's always been extra affectionate when he was on the verge of sleep, unbeknownst to Chet.

Chet could only flush in surprise when Rylan's arms wrapped around his waist and hugged him. He's hugging me, he thought in a panic, oh my God, he's hugging me.

Rylan's eyes were closed as his cheek pressed against Chet's chest. His heartbeat was fast, Rylan noticed, almost too fast. Somehow, it made him even more tired and he had to force himself to stay awake.

Before Chet could properly hug him back, Rylan pulled away and lightly tugged at his shirt, coaxing him inside. The door clicked shut while Chet fidgeted nervously.

"I missed you." Rylan took his hand and started for his bedroom, ready to sleep again.

Chet's stomach warmed with affection and guilt. "Me too." He rubbed his neck nervously, realizing now that it might've been bad. "It's.. is it okay that I showed up?" He couldn't wait any longer, almost afraid he'd have a panic attack if he stayed by himself, alone while waiting for Kyler.

"It's okay." Rylan assured, completely unfazed. "You knew Kyler was here so it's different." Rylan's room smelled like cinnamon. It made Chet's nose itchy. "Did you not sleep much? You look tired."

Not at all, he didn't say. "I'm okay."

Rylan was quiet as he got into bed, careful not to jostle Kyler. Then, he coaxed Chet forward. "Sleep with us." His bed was more than big enough to fit the three of them, especially without the addition of Sammy they usually had.

As dead as Kyler seemed, he eventually lifted his head and squinted at the two of them. "..Chet?"

"Um," Chet's fingers nervously played with the blanket, worried Kyler might be upset at him for interrupting their date, "morning?"