Chapter 20

sorry there's another flashback from chet's therapy 😔 i don't like flashbacks either but just deal for now <3 it's the last one

QOTD: favorite anime character?

During my fourth session with Penelope, I felt stiff

"How's school going? Have you settled in yet?"

"It's fine." I scratched my cheek, already checking to see how much time we had left.

"Have you made any friends yet? Maybe with the other hybrids?"

"Kinda." I mumbled. "I like Harrison a lot but the two girls.. They're nice but.." I trailed off and she waited patiently.

When I didn't finish my sentence, "Would you say you and Harrison are friends?"

"Yeah, we go out together sometimes and we text a lot. He's friends with the girls too so I'm around them a lot. I'm friendly with them but I feel.. uncomfortable, I guess."

"And that's completely normal." She assured. "Your mind is trying to protect you so that something like Naomi never happens again. We just have to remind ourselves that not all girls are like that."

I nodded and she let her eyes fall to her notepad. "I wanted to pick up from where we left off last time. Is that all right with you?"

"It's fine." I mumbled as a heavy feeling settled in my stomach again.

I hate coming here.

"Last time we talked, you said Naomi asked you for favors and in return, you two would date. Can you tell me those favors? Whatever you're comfortable with, and you said she asked you to buy her things already."

"Um," there were no jean rips to pick at today, "sometimes she would just have me walk around with her but- it wasn't, like, going on a normal walk. She would text me before, saying that it was a favor, and tell me to meet her at a certain place."

"Did you think this was weird?"

Stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid. "No." I mumbled, "I just thought she wanted to spend time together."

Penelope wrote something down on her notepad and it had my stomach churning. What is she writing? She must think so. Naive, stupid, childish- I wondered which one she was writing.

I didn't ask.

"Sometimes she would text me when she posted something and-"

"Sorry." She interrupted me. "Posted something? On social media?"

"Instagram." I nodded. "Whenever she would post something, she texted me and had me comment and like it. But, she would tell me what to comment."