Extra : Chapter 1

there's a link on my message board, showing the tiktok that inspired me to write this. you might wanna watch that before you read idk 🧍

uncanon - this is set back when chet was 19 and it'll have fantasy elements. he's in his first year of college rn

i just wrote this to help with my writers block and thought i might as well post it for you guys to read too, it's not real ofc~

Chet has this friend. He knows his name and his age, but everything else is a smudged memory. How did we meet again? When did he get here? How long have I known him? These constant questions go left unanswered.

"Hey- we're friends, right?" Chet asks, mindlessly staring at the ceiling.

Karma nods with a gentle hum, writing in that little book of his. He always has that book with him, everywhere he goes. Chet wonders what he's writing. "Best friends."

Chet nods slowly, "Right." Of course we're friends, he shakes the absurd thoughts from his head and settles back against the couch. It's a tattered old thing, barely small enough for their shared dorm room.

Sparing a glance at Karma, Chet pauses. "Did you dye your hair?" Karma's usual black hair is a soft pink, a drastic change so big Chet wonders how he just noticed.

"Ah," Karma reaches up and grasps a strand of his hair. He side eyes Chet, expression as blank as usual. "I guess I did." His gaze lingers longer than normal.

A silence falls over them after that.

Fresh into college, Chet isn't sure what else to do besides stay cooped up in his dorm. The thought of venturing out on his own is a little intimidating. Just as he's thinking about calling his sister to meet for lunch, Karma asks, "Do you know what you're doing at 6 o'clock?"

"6 o'clock?" Chet parrots. "Am I doing something at 6 o'clock?"

"Are you?"

Before he can stop himself, Chet blurts, "Yes."

Karma's response is a soft hum and the scratch of his pen against the notebook.

I do have plans at 6 o'clock, Chet realizes. He's going to study in the library.

Reaching for his phone, it only reads five. But with nothing to do besides block out Karma's constant writing, Chet decides to go now.

Karma quickly notices. His hand pauses on his notebook, eyes carefully settling on his roommate. "Where are you going?"

Chet falters as he reaches for his jacket. "I was going to the library."

"6 o'clock. You have plans at 6 o'clock." Karma reminds him.

"Well-" Chet's words get lost in his throat. Karma's just as emotionless as he normally is, but Chet feels as though he's done something wrong. There's an unnoticeable pain in the back of his head. "I just wanted to go a little early," he settles for. "Get my homework out of the way."