Chapter 34

It took me another full week to build up the courage to text Rylan and Kyler

It took me another full week to build up the courage to text Rylan and Kyler. We're at seventy days now.

Seventy full days of radio silence. I haven't heard either of their voices in seventy days. My heart thumped unsteadily in my chest when I texted them. I reworded it ten different times and ultimately went with hey.

Not in the group chat, but individually. Rylan first, and then Kyler.

I almost wanted to give my phone back to Mom. I wanted her to take it away and not give it back to me for weeks. Not because I wasn't okay, I felt more okay than I have in months, but because it felt like I was texting my crush for the first time.

In a way, I was. This was the first time I texted them and felt okay. My heart beat wildly and my stomach turned as I tried to focus on my show, but I was okay.

A small part of me wanted to, but I didn't stare at my phone anxiously and wait for a reply. I plugged it in to charge and turned towards my tv where Criminal Minds was playing.

I've started watching more tv lately. Before, I couldn't focus on it at all. All the colors blurred together and the words sounded foreign, but now I was completely consumed in the show.

I couldn't lie and say I almost forgot that I texted them. While I didn't obsess over a reply, I did still wonder what they would say.

Hey, would be a good start, I think.

My phone sounded with a text.

My stomach dropped.

There was five minutes left of Criminals Minds and I watched each one, even the ending credits. I didn't drop everything I was doing to check my phone, but I did force myself to finish the episode.

Progress, my mind spoke. Before, I would've never even set my phone down to charge.

My stomach was in knots and my hand shook as I unplugged it. Blocking my lock screen of Sammy, there were two texts waiting for me.

Rylan: hey

Rylan: how're you doing?

I read it over and over, and made sure he actually texted me. This is real, I told myself. He's real- this is happening.

I wondered what to say, but tried not to put too much thought into it. If I did, I might start obsessing over myself and him.

Me: hi

After I sent it, I regretted it. Fuck- I already said that.

Me: i'm okay

Not good, because I wasn't. But I was okay and content, and that was more than enough. Content was all I wanted. Right now, I'm alone and content and I'm not scared anymore.