01| Key To My Heart

"Blue! Wait up!" my fourteen-year-old self called out in excitement, trying to keep up with the blue-haired boy. He was wearing a grey and orange sweatshirt, with matching grey pants and a pair of orange sneakers. He may not have the best fashion sense, but his other terrifyingly attractive features balanced it off.

"Catch me if you can, shorty!" he teased as we ran around the picturesque neighbourhood park, with our laughter and giggles filling the tranquil atmosphere.

"It's not fair! Your legs are much longer than mine!" I squealed, coming to a halt. Panting, I looked down on my short, chubby legs with a small frown. He stopped running away from me and looked back with those beautiful blue eyes, and shot me a caring look. He let out a smile, and walked towards me. Each step he took, I could feel my heart pounding harder. My gaze was fixed on him as he stopped in front of me, smiling down at me.

"Come on, I want to show you something," he whispered, gesturing me towards an oak tree. The oak tree. The one that stood so mightily in the middle of the park, with a beautifully built treehouse on the very top. Blue helped me got onto one of the strong branches before he climbed up the tree himself. When I reached the treehouse, I pulled myself up the wooden floor and sat on the edge of the wooden house, allowing my legs to hang freely in the air. He climbed up and sat right next to me, with our sides slightly touching.

Under the greyish green leaves, we adored the numerous bright stars that lit up the windless, dimmed night sky. No one said a word for a moment. We enjoyed each other's presence.

Sometimes I couldn't help but to wonder how lucky I was to have such a great friend. Admittedly, I don't have many friends, probably none; he was the only one. Ever since I started going to classes, my classmates bullied me, called me names and did terrible things to me, just because I looked less decent, 'an east target'. I often find myself crying in the public restrooms, loneliness slowly creeping up to me day by day.

Until one day, everything changed.

Blue transferred to my school, and being the top student in his class, he became the head prefect in no time. He protected me from all the bullies and helped me with my studies, and I had always cherished the moments where he heroically blocked out the bullies and patiently explained the theories and methods that I found confusing during our study sessions in the school library. We hang out every single day. Only he understood my struggles and was willing to help. He was certainly a great friend. He was way more than I could ever ask for.

Not to mention that he was cute as hell. Almost every girl fell for his charm and wisdom, and I wasn't an exception. I had a crush on him ever since I met him, it was probably love at first sight, but I kept it hidden. I was scared to tell him how I really feel. Someone like him will never want someone like me to be his girlfriend. I should be grateful that he was still willing to be my friend.

"So, Ales, you were telling me about Mark?" Blue asked, breaking the silence and pulling me out of my train of thoughts. I blinked and looked over at him.

"Oh! Yeah, it's nothing serious. He didn't do anything to me this time. Just called me names because of my stupid white hair," I reported, frowning slightly. "Said that I was old and ugly."

"Don't listen to him, he is a total jerk. Your silky white hair is pretty and unique, and I love it," Blue said with a smile and I let out a small chuckle.

"Thank you! You're the best!" I smiled, before I recalled the special day.

"I almost forgot!" I said, reaching out for something behind me. "Close your eyes."

"What? Why?"

"Just do it."

He chuckled and closed his eyes. I brought out the hidden gift I prepared for him.