42| Threat

A knock echoed through the lightly dimmed room as the doorknob turned. I looked up from my knees, and there stood the gang at the door.

No.

There stood Mia, Trixie, Twist, Dana, Kord, and Pronto.

Without Eli, the gang was not complete.

We stared at each other, tears still pouring down our red, puffy eyes. With all the energy left in my weakened soul, I struggled to pull myself up to my feet.

I ran to them and we went in for a group hug, wept.

Things will never be the same again without Eli, and that's just so heartbreaking.

We stayed still in the must needed embrace, crying for the lost of one of the greatest heroes in Slugterran history. It was certainly the saddest day in the Shane hideout.

After what felt like an eternity, Trixie was the first one to pull back from the hug. She forced herself to hold back her tears and looked at us with sorrowful eyes.

"I'm sorry, but I have bad news," she gulped. "Terrible news."

The rest of us pulled away as Trixie pulled out her hologram. It flashed at the press of a button, before a picture of Doctor Blakk showed up, with a play button in the middle. With shaky hands, Trixie tapped onto the triangular button and what was played next traumatised me.

"Greetings, citizens of Slugterra. I know it has been a long time since you last saw me, but I have finally returned, and have humbly brought my gifts to present them to you."

Doctor Blakk gave the introduction and it seemed like the video was taken in the base of the Darkbanes in the Deep Caverns. The camera then shifted towards his left, showing The Goon on Will Shane's shoulder, The Emperor from the Eastern Caverns and Brimstone.

"These people, they are my allies," Doctor Blakk announced with pride, before he glared at the camera.

"I'm giving you three weeks to live before the Darkbanes will rise from the Deep Caverns and conquer Slugterra, with the help of thousands of powerful stone warriors," he drawled, and let out an ear-piercing evil laugh.

"And to the Shane Gang, don't even think about defeating me. I have hundreds of Terraportals set up across the caverns in places where no human can reach. I have already won the war, Alessia. I won, you lost," he drawled, before he turned his back to the camera and walked away.

"Oh, by the way," he paused in his tracks and turned around to face the camera. "Forgive me for forgetting to address the elephant in the room. Eli Shane, the protector of the 99 caverns, is dead. My advice for you? Cherish your last three weeks in Slugterra before I destroy your worthless lives in front of your very own eyes."

And with that, the video ended abruptly. The hologram returned to its transparent screen as the six slingers stood there in shock.

"The video was broadcasted to every electronic devices just minutes ago," Trixie said, letting out a tremble sigh and crossed her arms uncomfortably.

"Eli's death was hard enough already, now this?" Mia questioned with new tears forming at the corners of her eyes.

"So this was all a set up? From kidnapping you and feeding you false information that eventually leads to his death?" Twist said in anger.

We exchanged glances; even Pronto did not say a word. My gaze fell onto the ground, my worn out mind trying to process the situation.

Am I dreaming?

Did all this really happened?

From Eli dying to Doctor Blakk declaring war?

"So... what now?" Pronto asked hopelessly. I slowly lifted my head, just to realise that their eyes were on me.