14| Mecha Race

"Who would have guessed the on-off switch is at the tip of its face?" Kord squealed, looking at the once despairing Mecha Dragon. "Ten years. How could you and your team not figure that out?"

Grendel went speechless. His mind still processing what just happened. After a few seconds of staring at the Mecha Dragon, he diverted his gaze and stared at me in disbelief.

"How did you do that?" he finally spoke, confused. "How did you know it'll work?"

"I... I didn't know," I answered as my eyes gazed back on the benign Mecha Dragon. "It was purely my instinct. I wasn't even expecting it to move a joint after I did that. Well, I'm glad it did."

I rested a hand on the mecha's face, slowly caressing the beast. A smile found its way on my lips as Phoenix and the other slugs on my bandoleer chirped contentedly.

"So, do we have a deal?" Grendel questioned. I turned back to Grendel, and then to Eli. I gave him a small smile, displaying my decision.

"Yes, we do," Eli answered Grendel before returning my smile. After we signed the paperwork, some workers from the factory brought our new mechas to the entrance of the building, where the rest of the Shane Gang's mechas were parked.

After a little reasoning with Grendel, we finally backed down and accepted Grendel's generosity and got my Mecha Dragon free of charge. Mia's new mecha, however, costs us a fortune, but it was money well spent.

Ultimately, she picked out a stunning Mecha Peacock, after Trixie and I had successfully convinced her that it will be extremely awkward and cringe if she was to match her mecha beast with Eli.

The Mecha Peacock was albino, with thick display feathers that looked exceedingly light in spite of the fact that it was made of steel. The rounded eye markings on its fairylike trailing tail gleam with cyan phosphorescence at a push of a button. Underneath the beauty were deadly claws; both leg had four trenchant blades. A light grey cushioned seat was installed on the bird's back, right below where the control panel was. To put it simply, it was the rarest, most phenomenal mecha in the entire showroom.

"Not gonna lie, I'm flopping envious," Trixie commented, crossing her arms and smirking at Mia.

"Don't be! You're BOOM-R model saber-tooth tiger is great too!" Mia replied with a shy smile. "Yeah Trix, learn to be grateful. Some people don't even have a mecha," Kord teased as he mounted his mecha.

"You should thank Pronto the magnificent for not spending all the money on sumptuous vacations in order for you to purchase that wondrous mecha beast!" Pronto claimed with a hand on his chest, earning death glares from the three original members of the Shane Gang. "Thank you!" the three yelled sarcastically in unison. And with that, the rest of the gang mounted their respective mechas outside Beast Forge.

Holding onto the inverted handles located at the sides of the dragon's neck, I mounted onto my first ever mecha beast. I got myself comfortable on the white leather upholstery seat and glanced at the control buttons in front of me.

Another reason why Grendel gave me the Mecha Dragon for free is because no one had any idea what these prehistoric buttons and controllers do since no one managed to start it up. Even after a thousand years since her manufactured date and potentially more than ten years of complete neglection in terms of maintenance, it still looked good as new. I just hope that these buttons were still functioning.

With the rest of the gang still checking out and adoring Mia's brand new Mecha Peacock, Eli rode up next to me, his eyes trailing my mecha beast from her head to tail. Lucky came to a halt beside me and I looked up at Eli with a smile.