29| Birth

"Ales."

A hand gently shook my shoulder.

"Phoenix is going to give birth any time now, and I bet you wouldn't want to miss it," Eli whispered into my ear as he sat down beside me, at the side of our bed.

Once my mind was awake, I shot him a small smile and yawn softly.

"You're right," I said and pulled myself up in a sitting position despite my slight headache. "Thanks for waking me up."

"Before we go downstairs, can I talk to you?" Eli questioned, looking at me with a weird expression. I let out another yawn and nodded my head lightly.

"What is it?"

"Do you feel weird that our slugs are having a baby?" he asked, and if I had water in my mouth I would have puked.

"Hear me out. I know it sounds weird, but if you really think about it. I treat my slugs like my own children, and I know you do too, and the fact that Burpy is having a child way before I do really weirds me out."

I chuckled and nodded my head.

"Yeah I understand, but slugs are animals. They ain't humans, even though we love them like our own children," I said. "I don't feel weird at all. This is just nature."

"Right," Eli smiled, slightly embarrassed by what he just said, but his face slowly lit up. "If they are like our children, does that makes us the child's grandparents?"

I couldn't help but to laugh at his innocence. The way Eli thinks is so wholesome and adorable.

"If you want to put it that way I don't see anything wrong with it," I laughed. He chuckled and scratched the back of his neck.

Out of the blue, his eyes widened as if he recalled something. He stopped laughing and started to blush.

"By the way, I'm sorry for taking away your first kiss. I had to do it, or else you'll die," Eli said, looking not guilty at all. "That was my first kiss too, Ales. I swear I wasn't trying to do anything-"

"Yeah I know," I said, and smiled at him.

A smile crept up his face as our eyes locked into each other's. I took in a deep breath and took all the courage left in me to wrap my arms around his neck. I could feel his body tensed up, but he quickly relaxed and hugged me back by my waist.

"Thank you for saving my life," I whispered into his ear, and I could feel him sinking deeper into the hug.

"Eli! Alessia! What's taking so long up there? We need a little help, please?"

We heard Trixie yelled for us from downstairs. We pulled away from the hug and gave each other a quick glance, before we got out of bed and exited the room.

Walking down the stairs, we saw that the Shane's hideout was a mess. We were busy looking after Phoenix and we have yet to release the captured slugs, and they were making a huge mess in the hideout by trying to show off their individual powers.

Trixie and Mia were making sure Phoenix was doing fine while Kord and Pronto were trying their best to stop the slugs from burning the hideout down. Phoenix was on a slug bed on the coffee table in the living room, with Burpy right beside her.

Mia looked up and saw Eli and I at the end of the staircase. She stood up from her squatting position and motioned us over. We ran towards her and kneeled down beside Phoenix.

"It's almost time," Trixie said as she petted the pregnant slug. Phoenix was sweating, her belly was at its biggest I've ever seen. The stripes on her body gleamed and faded continuously with her heart beat, and there were visible motion inside her belly. Doc and Strange came to the other side of the bed once they had gathered all the Fandangoes in the room, alongside Beeker, Eli's Aquabeek, and Nile.