09| First Ever Mission

Being part of the Shane Gang is great, but it also meant working round the clock.

After the siren went off at three in the flopping morning, I put on my slinging gear, bandoleer and holster, feeling fairly pumped out for my first ever distress call mission.

"Good morning Cobra," I greeted and yawned, eyeing the slug inside my backpack. She let out a small yawn before she chirped with her wide warm eyes. I grabbed my backpack and headed downstairs, and I met Mia on the way.

"How was last night?" I asked, eyeing her playfully. "Horrible," she whispered with a tired frown. "It was super awkward. We only said goodnight and he was facing the opposite direction!"

"Really? No way! That was exactly what happened on my first night too!" I exclaimed tiredly.

Just that I was the one facing the other direction.

We quickly made our way down the stairs, greeted the other members and loaded our slugs into our respective backpacks.

"Ready to embark on your first ever mission?" Eli asked as he clipped his bandoleer on in the garage. "Born ready," Mia said, clenching her fists.

"Finally able to put our skills up to the test," I replied as Hero hopped onto my shoulder. "What is our mission?"

"Tad's goons were spotted in Wind-Farm Cavern," Trixie said, studying her hologram. "It seems like they were scouting the area."

"For what?" Eli asked as he mounted his wolf mecha, Lucky. "No idea," Trixie shrugged as she mounted her mecha. "They're probably on a slug hunt, but regardless of why they are there, them roaming around that area raises all sorts of red flags."

"Agreed," Kord mumbled sleepily and climbed onto his mecha. "Pronto the magnificent can never get used to these flopping distress calls that are way past my bedtime," Pronto complained, yawning as he dragged himself towards his mecha.

Mia and I exchanged a glance, not knowing who should go on whose mecha. I should be going with Eli as the last time we head out I was with him, but this time, now that I know Mia has a crush on him, it's different.

Should I go with Trix? Or would that make things weird and awkward?

"Come on, Ales!" Eli called out for me, gesturing me to join him in his ride. I gulped and bit my lower lip.

I don't know what to do!

Flop!

"Ales!" Trixie called out for me out of nowhere and waved a hand at me. "Come join me!"

I gave Eli a wry smile before joining Trixie on her ride. My unexplainable move resulted in Eli shooting me a confused look and went speechless. He was about to say something when Trixie quickly cut him off.

"Let's go!" Trixie called as she revved up her engine and drove off, leading the gang. Kord and Pronto were too sleepy to even care about the drama and they followed Trixie without delay. At first, Mia still stood on the same spot, but she eventually mounted Eli's mecha and the pair drove off.

Eli caught up with Trixie in no time, still confused with what just happened.

"What was that all about?" Eli yelled through the dashing wind. "Nothing important and personal!" Trixie yelled back, and Eli frowned.

"Women," he commented, before he sped off and led the way.

Mia's arms were around his waist, her head laid on his back, her purple hair flying behind her as the mecha sped forward. A smile crept onto her face and blush rose to her cheeks.