12| The Encounter

The ceiling of the rock-strewn cavern was covered with bumpy stalactites. Statues of degraded rocks conquered the land, with a minimum number of grass vegetation and glimmering mushrooms. I took in a deep breath, relaxed my mind as the mild gentle wind kissed my cheeks. I brought Lucky to a halt at the side of one of the many pillars of rocks, dismounted from him and grinned at the breathtaking landscape.

"Splinterback Cavern," I mumbled to myself. "What do you guys think of this place?"

Hero, Cobra and Phoenix chirped from their canisters on my bandoleer and Hero hopped onto my shoulder. I chuckled softly in response, and reached out for Cobra's canister.

"You had a tough morning, Cobra. Ready to have some fun!?"

She chirped as I loaded her up and fired. She megamorphed almost instantly and encircled a pillar of rubble, before emitting rings of hefty soundwaves that knocked down the pillar with ease.

"Nice job! Next!"

All of my slugs got out of my backpack, chirping excitingly as they watched their peers velocimorphed or megamorphed, and generally having a great time.

I repeated the process for each of my slug, granting them the opportunity to unleash their inner strength and destroying rock statues. All slugs had a chance, except Hero. Eli had issued strict instructions that I was not to fire Hero until I had mastered Slugfu, because Hero's potential was simply too great. I wouldn't be able to handle him if he megamorphed, which may result in serious damage and fatal injuries.

A canister sprang out of my backpack and I caught it in the nick of time. I smiled as Maggi waved at me from his blue tube.

"Let's go Maggi!" I chuckled, inserted the canister into my blaster and fired Maggi at a statue. Unfortunately, like always, it didn't transformed but crashed straight into the rock.

"Maggi! Are you okay?" I yelled worriedly. It chirped in response, and hopped back towards the group of slugs on the ground with droopy antennae. Nile and Rox each rested a hand on Maggi's shoulders and chirped, reassuring it.

"It's okay Maggi! I'm sure you'll get it the next time," I said and it let out a small smile. Yawning slightly, I stretched my shoulders out after every single slug had a turn.

"Alright guys, time for some Slugfu!" I announced, spinning my blaster in my hand as they chirped. Phoenix was the first one who hopped up to me. She allowed herself to get into the blaster where an empty canister was inserted and waited for her slinger to fire.

"You think you got this?" I asked, and she nodded positively, positioning herself in the canister with a smirk on her face. Aiming my blaster at another pillar of rock, I rested my eyes and took a deep breath.

"Believe," I whispered as my eyelids ascended. Determined, I pulled the trigger, and Phoenix megamorphed. I holstered my blaster and closed my eyes, focused on connecting with the slug energy released by Phoenix as she soared. A warmth feeling flooded my mind as I felt her stripes glowed. I furrowed my brows, placing all my attention and effort into bonding with her.

And I felt it. I finally did. I took in another deep breath as I felt the energy travelled within my body, from my feet to my mind. I raised my arms steadily, floating them in air before drifting them smoothly towards the right.

Did I do it?

My left eye peeked involuntarily. Phoenix was still travelling in a straight line.

Well, let's try that again.

I repositioned my hands in the middle, and drifted them to the right.