38| Connection

Alessia's pov
After opening countless doors, I finally remember everything. From how I met Blue, our last moment together in the treehouse, to how I accidentally fell into Slugterra, and how I almost died, or actually died, at Blakk's citadel.

Everything made sense now, but something still felt missing. It was like the last missing puzzle piece.

A yellow light shone beside me again, and surely enough, another door materialised under the light.

"This is the last one," I said, smiling. I didn't know how I knew it, but I just do. Once again, I pushed the key through the perfectly fitting keyhole and twisted it, before an unknown force engulfed me and pulled me into the room.

"Happy 15th birthday Blue!"

Fourteen-year-old me cheered, holding onto a small cupcake.

"Strawberry cupcake, your favourite! I know this isn't much, this is all I could do and afford, but I baked it myself! So you have to like it!"

I chuckled at the memory. How I missed hanging out with Blue back on the Surface.

But I had recalled this memory before.

Why is this still playing in my head?

Out of the sudden, everything went blurry, and it shifted to another scene.

"Happy belated 18th birthday, Eli!"

Seventeen-year-old me screamed at the top of my lungs alongside the rest of the Shane Gang, holding onto a small cake.

"I know this isn't much, I was kinda in a hurry to finish this strawberry cake before you wake up from your well-deserved nap, but I baked it myself! So you have to like it!"

The scene shifted again. This time, to another memory.

"So Ales, how did you know I like strawberry cakes?" Eli asked with some icing on his nose. I had the urge to lick it off of him but surely I stopped myself.

"I didn't know you like strawberry cakes. Strawberry cakes are my specialty, I used to make them very often since my... friend used to love it."

Okay stop shifting scenes I get it but...

What?

What does all this mean?

My mind was clearly trying to tell me something, but I still don't get it. It was as if my mind knew I was still confused, it shook its head disappointingly at me, before showing me a clear vision.

Blue, my long lost true love, appeared on my left.

Eli, my leader and protector of the caverns, appeared on my right.

The heart-shaped necklace materialised in between them.

It clicked. I finally see the connection.

They were the same person all along.

...
My eyes flung open and I inhaled sharply. It was already dark outside, and someone was sleeping on a chair beside my bed, with his head laying on the bed. He jolted when I moved, and he was now wide awake.

"Ales?"

He called for me. I recognised it immediately. I didn't realise how much I longed to hear him call me by my nickname again until now.

Everyone else in the room woke up when Eli said my name. Their eyes widened when they saw me, and I was extremely glad that I can now remember each and everyone of them.