Erudite Gone Dauntless

Don't be stupid. Those three words play over and over in my head as I walk to the cafeteria. I sit down at a table between Peter and Will.

"Where were you? You missed half of lunch." Will asks chewing on a piece of bread.

"What are you Candor?" I say back with a bite

"Cute." He says rolling his eyes

"I hear were gonna fight next," Peter says, "if we fight I'll go easy on you." He says winking

"Uh huh." I say poking my burger.

The rest of lunch goes by in an instant. We all head back to the training room to see Eric and Toby in the center of the room.

"For a quick warm up, a race. You will race one lap around the compound. Get your blood pumping, we will be fighting next." He says looking at all of us.

"Told you." Peter says with a smirk. I see Eric eyeing me and he uses his eyes to motion me to run. Every body else is waiting for orders, and I nod at eric then sprint towards the exit.

"She gets the Memo." Toby says.

"Well start running initiates!" Eric yells.

One lap around the compound is about a half a mile. By the time everybody started I was half way done. It's nice to be first, but remembering what eric said earlier sends chills down my spine. Somebody wants to kill me. And I don't know who. Maybe if I drop a ranking I'll be better off.. But that's cowardly and stupid. I don't know how hard it might be to make it up.

I get back to the training room and walk infront of eric.

"Nice job squirt." Toby says handing me a water bottle.

"Shut up Toby, and thanks." Toby's jaw tenses and eric smirks a little bit knowing that I just said Toby's real name.

"You need to be more careful. After you ran off I saw a few below the lines give eachother looks." Eric says

"And they will be more stressed. Initiation will be cut short this year."
Toby says. I choke on my water,

"Wait what? Why? Isn't that against dauntless law?"

"It is. But leadership has some plans that require shortening initiation. Now we will only be accepting 5 initiates."

"Are you kidding me? That means 15 poor kids will be factionless-"

"Shut up Carter other initiates are coming." He says walking past me.

Will jogs in out of breath.
"Thanks for leaving us in the dust Carter. Good lord." He says panting.

Will is soon followed by Peter then others that I don't care for.

"Alright everybody gather around! Today we will be working on fighting!" Four says walking to the center of a raised mat.
"Hand to hand combat is a skill you must master if you wish to stay here. Eric and Andrew will demonstrate." He says walking off and eric and Andrew walk on.

"This is going to feel so good." Andrew says cracking his knuckles

"For me," Eric says then he lunged at Andrew punching him hard in the jaw

"Aw that was dirty," Andrew says rubbing his jaw then sweeping his leg under eric making him fall.

"So was that mate," eric responds taking hold of Andrews leg and making him fall. He quickly gets up and kicks Andrew in the ribs. He takes a step back taking a breath then he walks to Andrew who is still on the ground and lifts him up and slams him on the ground.