I got this

I wake up to the sound of clanging metal.

"Initiates i want you all in the pit in 5 minutes" I hear Eric say and I groan into a pillow. I quickly get ready and run down to the pit. It's so quiet. The pit is usually so full of life.

I am the only one in the area and I take this time just to breath. I have read that first day of initiation is the most important. It's where you get your first impressions and a spot on the board. I'm not to scared though, I've always been the athletic type. I've watched dauntless training videos and practiced in my room, everyday back in erudite I ran in my free time. It was sort of a stress reliever.

Soon eric and four walk in and they don't see me. I'm on a bench right by the door.

"Carter really was something..she's not to bad loo-" Eric says but he stops as soon as he sees me on the bench

"Initiate what are you doing here?" Tobias asks

"Quit calling me initiate toby, we're all those years of friendship just nothing now?" I ask getting up

"I'm sorry..squirt" he says with a chuckle. I giggle a little bit and punch him in the arm. Tobias has really changed since he transferred. Before he left he was a twig with a big head and now..he's buff. Puberty hit him like a train.

"But what are you doing here?" Eric says stepping up

"You told us to be here in 5 so I did..in 1" I say looking at the floor.

"We'll see how you do Carter," he says turning around walking to a table with knives on it.

"Don't mind him. He's always a shit head. But now tell me the story. Why did you transfer?" He says sitting down on the floor.

I sit down with him "Well it kind of started with my mother. People had expectations for me so I pushed myself to meet them. I've always wanted to be free like the dauntless. But being in the situation that I was in, I couldn't really tell anybody how I really thought..so when I got dauntless on my aptitude test I saw it as an opportunity to go in the direction I want to go in for the firsts time in my life..so I took it."

Tobias nods then puts an arm around my shoulder.

"Eric told me about your mom visiting yesterday and how she wanted you back..that was pretty brave of you to stand up to her like that. You'll make it here for sure," he says to me softly whilst rubbing my arm

"Quit flirting four initiates are coming," Eric says throwing knives at a board.

"I-I wasn't flirting!"

"Yeah sure." Eric says smiling ever so slightly.

Initiates pile in and we crowd around eric and four.

"Here at dauntless we have 2 stages of training. Physical and mental. Today we will start physical training and you will be scored. At dauntless we make the good better and weed out the weak links. Every day we will score you and if you're under the red line then you'll be out."

"Scores and rankings also determine job opportunities in the future, if you make it that is," he says eyeing me.
" First and second ranking initiates are open to all jobs including leadership, 3-5 patrol and security duties, 6-8 guarding the fence, 9-12 pitfall jobs."

There are 23 of us, meaning 11 will be leaving. I look around at my competition, I feel confident that I can make it. I got this.