Hope

"What exactly are you asking me?" I say sitting on the couch.

"The testing they put you at erudite worked. They don't know that though. We believe the faction systems is flawed, the way abnegation runs it and the way erudite thinks that they have more power than what they do will ruin everything. We have plans to over take the government and create a new system. But to do so we need somebody like you Carter. Your brain can think in ways we all can't. And with you, we can change our world." Andrew says. I nod.

"I see. I understand. But why in the hell did you put me through all my old memories?" I ask

"It was a serum that replays memories and plays them in a separate room. We wanted to confirm our suspicions and look into your thoughts." Harry said

"Invasion of privacy? Induced torture? Those memories..you don't know how much they hurt! I can still feel the pain from the failed serums!" I yell

"You're tough. Quit whining. We understand that it screwed you up, but we had to take some risks for the greater good. Okay?" Eric says from the corner of the room. I look at him and nod

"So are you in?" Andrew asks

"Yeah. I'm in."
-------
It's day 2 of initiation. Eric is supposed to make an announcement about the cuts and shorted initiation. I'm really nervous. 15 people are going to be leaving. 15 people are going to be fighting for a spot in the top 5. And 19 people will be trying to get my spot.
I hear clanging metal and we all look up at eric.

"initiates! Stand." He says. We all stand up.

"Look around. Due to future plans, imitation will be cut to 5 days including both stages. Which means," he takes a breath, "only 5 of you will be staying." He says and everybody but me gasps. "That is all." And he walks off.

After he leaves everybody starts whispering to their neighbors. I already know they're planning ways to kill me. Soon I am overwhelmed by anxiety I decide to leave.

As I walk through the corridors my breathing quickens. What if they're wrong about the serums? What if I fail them? What if my mother finds out? What happens if the other initiates find out? They might think this is cheating. What happens if they get me? Everybody wants to be in my position..everybody wants to kill me. I start to hyperventilate and I sit against a wall.
They're all gonna kill me. I should've stayed in erudite. No. I made the right decision.

No matter the odds, I will make it. I have to prove my parents wrong. Right now, I wish a mom was here. Yeah not my mom, a mom. Or somebody that knows. Just somebody to hug me and tell me everything's going to be okay.

I start to cry and I look at my tattoo. My minds a maze that I yet to escape. I can't escape these thoughts of death. And these thoughts of being alone. I am alone. Tobias is a traitor. My parents are dead beats. And all the other initiates are planning to kill me.

I hear footsteps and I look up to see eric. There are tears running down my cheeks, and I don't care anymore, even if I'm infront of eric.

He looks down at me with sympathy and picks me up bridal style. I don't know why, but I collapse and just let it go. I ball into his shoulder and I hear him whisper "shhh it's ok". This isn't breaking. Just letting Go. Letting go of all these emotions that have been piling up all these years. I feel eric lay me down on a bed. He sits down on the edge and just stays there in silence.

"I'm hanging on, barely." I say

"You're strong. You will make it Carter." He says softly. I wipe tears off my cheeks and sit up.

"I know it's not the right time but..what are planning to do about the initiates?" Eric asks. I put my face in my hands and sigh

"For once, I don't know. I don't know if I'll survive, I don't know who's going to kill me, I don't know who to trust, I don't know if I'm strong enough for this job, I don't know if this plan of yours will work, I don't know how much longer I can be so wound up, I don't know. I don't know!"

"Keep a knife handy at all times, make it through initiation, and you'll be fine. Suck it up."

"I don't get you at all. You have terrible mood changes, one second you're kind and tolerable, the next you're cold, sadistic, and uhhg" I slam my face into a pillow.

"I don't like getting close to people and I slip sometimes." He says laying back

"Tell me your story.. If you don't want to i understand.." I say just above a whisper. He takes a deep breath in.

"Will you get through imitation if I do?" He asks

"I don't know. Depends if this info is juicy or not," I say giggling

"Ok, so. My parents worked for yours, my mom is a teacher and my dad is a doctor. I was kinda like you, I lived up to the expectations of my parents then when choosing day came I left. About on the second day of initiation, I was second ranking, I got called down to the leadership room.." He sniffs, I can tell he's trying to hold back tears.
"Jeanine was there, and..they had news about my sister.." He says as he wipes off a tear from his cheek. "My sister and I were pretty close..were twins and we were closer than any other sibling pair. When I chose dauntless, she chose erudite. We promised eachither that we'd both become leaders so we could hang out..but Jeanine sat me down, and.." He starts to cry "she told me that they had to kill my sister. She was divergent..and I had to act like I didn't care. I had to act like I despised divergence, and that terminating my sister was the only route to go..divergence isn't bad. I think it means we're growing and that we don't fit into these categories anymore. My sisters death made me realize this and, I hope you do to."