Chance

7 PM Dinner

"Hey wheres Car? I hope shes doing okay, she had a little break down last night." Thomas asks sitting down looking around for Carter.

"Yeah where is she? She better not be hanging around Jimmy." Four says and Harry nods in agreement.

"Oh Ill try this pager thingy." Thomas says pushing a few buttons on a little watch like device. "hm."

"What?" Harry asks

"It says number not available. Did Carter get a pager yet?" My chest gets tighter and tighter with every mention of the girl I once knew. "Here Carter Carter Carter!" Thomas says clapping around. I look at Andrew and hes on the verge on tears. The veins on his neck are raised as if hes trying to keep his mouth shut. His knuckles are white from gripping his fork too hard. "Hey Andy whats wrong?" no. Thomas you didn't call him Andy. Carter called him Andy.

"Carters gone." Andrew says then bursts into tears letting it allout on the table.

"What? Gone where? Eric whats going on?" Thomas asks getting nervous

"Eric what happened?" Four says turning towards me.

"Carter couldn't stand it here. It was protocol to erase her memories and to send her back to the city..shes already there getting her brain waves read so she can find a better faction, better friends, and have a better life with out pain, suffering..and baggage." I say then I break down. Tears stream down my face remembering Carter. Death describes my feelings.

"Wheres Jimmy." Four grunts. Hes using every bit of his soul to not crack right now. "WHERES JIMMY" He yells. A teen boy sitting by us speaks up scared.

"Hes in the executive wing.." Four stands up and stomps his way out of the dining hall. Then out of no where a fist flies at me and hits me square in the jaw. Its Thomas

"Why didn't you stop them?!" He says knocking me to the floor. "You could've stopped him!" He says hitting me again in the face. "What man are you?!" Again. "I loved her!" Again. "You could've done more!" Then Harry pulls him off and tears are falling down his face. Hes right. I lay there bloody. I could've done more. If id did more, the beautiful girl I once knew would still be here. Shed be throing peas at Harry then blaming it on us. Shed be telling us stories of her day. Shed be here. And not there.

-------------------

A week later

The boys have refused to talk to me. Four is on temporary suspension for beating up Jimmy. Thomas dispises me. Andrew is severly depressed. Harry refuses to talk to anybody.

The one girl they knew from home is gone. They still carry the memories of her, but knowing that shes still alive and wont remember us is enough to kill anybody on the inside. Right now shes happy. Shes living out her new life, out there, without me. Im happy im not causing her suffering, but she was a part of me, and when she left a part of me died.

-----------------

A year later

I type away at my daily report. The new head of security is a real dick head. My life has become an endless cycle of waking up, working, then going to sleep. Jimmy said that wed start to feel comfortable here in the first few weeks. Its been a year. My friends, or should I say, the guys that came here with me, they still refuse to talk to me. I know Andrew has been going to therapy, Harry and Four are slaving away like me, but Thomas being the person he is, hes climbed through the rankings.

This life isn't what I signed up for. I left Erudite because I didn't belong. I went to Dauntless because I craved adventure. Same, as, Carter. Every now and then I think about her, what her new life is probably like. I bet she was sorted into a faction that suited her. Shed fit into any of them really. I bet shes been dating around, maybe staying low. She wasn't the type to pursue power, power always found her. I bet shes happy without us. Without the memories that only held her back.

Its been a year since her memories got erased and I cant help but wonder if shes really living. If shes being that sarcastic, badass dauntless we all know and love. I really hope so. I walk through the hallways passing by the same people ive passed for the last year.

"Hey did you hear about Jimmy going on the recon mission?" I hear a person say to another.

"Yeah hes been working hard for a spot, its going to be the longest mission yet because of the new, whats her name? She came from the compound but got her memories erased..Christina? No Carter, yeah that's it."

"Yeah I heard it was difficult fitting her in. She almost got caught being divergent."

"Theyre gonna have a handful in there."

"Damn right, hopefully the new divergents they bring in will be better than the ones they brought in last time."

"They brought in Divergents?" I speak up

"Im surprised you didn't hear. There was an Abnegation Divergent gone suicidal, she died by death serum a few years back." The taller one says

"Yeah one of her friends still work here but hes a complete loser."

"Why do they bring in Divergents?"

"Mainly testing, but if the guys in the exec office sees it fit they'll introduce some of them into our city"

"How do I get in on the recon mission?" I ask and the two guys turn towards eachother then start laughing. "Whats so funny?"

"Recon is for the elites. Jimmys been training his entire adult life to join recon. You need to have combat skills, computer knowledge, knowledge of the compound, and how the system works."

"Wheres Jimmy right now?"

"Lunch."

"Thanks for the info." I spit at them then I head to the Exec lunch room and open the door.

"Jimmy I need to talk to you." I say

"Im eating."

"Now." I say sternly and he rolls his eyes and gets up.

"I want in on the recon team."

"Hell no."

"Why the hell not? Im dauntless, I have combat skills, I know the place,-"

"Youre dauntless, youre not emotionally stable enough to even be considered." He says then he sits back down.

"I need to go back." I say almost desperatly

"Okay ill get the memory serum ready then." He says taking a bite of his sandwich not even looking at me.

"No I just want to be back there. We all do, me four Andrew harry and Thomas."

"You know, I don't get whats going on between you lot but even if you get back in, youre not garunteed to see your girlfriend. The recon team is meant for research, not petty love reunions. Leave" I fall onto my knees and start to cry

"Please consider it Jimmy..This is my chance..I just need to get back there. I never get down and beg like this but this..i need to go back." I hear him huff

"Be in my office at 7 tomorrow. Bring your friends." he says throwing his food away and leaving.