Chapter Eighteen: Come Forth the Conqueror

Previously...

As soon as he did, the deck officer ran up to him. "Did the natives surrender?" he asked.

"They did not." Kang responded bitterly. He then pushed a button on his chairs console and the Conqueror was immediately surrounded by a white aura. In a few short seconds, all the damage Kang's armour had sustained from his battle was instantly repaired, even the effects of Steampunk's time ray was reversed.

Kang admired his restored suit as he looked out at the earth before him. He clenched his fists and his eyes started glowing. "Time to show the 21st century how I earned the title of conqueror."

Outside the warship, multiple beams of light began to erupt from the darkness as Kang's fleet. Hundreds upon hundreds of ships all lined in perfect formation.

The invasion of Earth had begun.

~*~*~

Inside the Avengers Mansion, the elevator to the lower levels opened up and Tony, Hank, T'Challa and Steve exited

Inside the Avengers Mansion, the elevator to the lower levels opened up and Tony, Hank, T'Challa and Steve exited. As they entered, they saw Janet, Clint, Hulk and Thor all in the lounge room. A gloomy aura washed over the room, as the heroes all had downcast expressions on their faces.

"He still hasn't come down yet?" Tony asked.

Clint shook his head in response. "Can you blame him? The kid just got told he singlehandedly caused Armageddon. That's not something that you just get over."

Tony sighed. "I just thought he would have bounced back by now. He's always seemed so adaptable to anything."

"Emotional scares, such as these, take time to heal." T'Challa interjected. "All we can do is reassure him that he is surrounded by those who care about him. We are all he has." The others nodded solemnly, Janet then gazed out the door and up at the ceiling, a worried look on her face.

It had been a day since Kang had attack the Avengers and delivered his ultimatum. Since then, Braedey had shut himself away in his room; he didn't eat, he didn't sleep, he just sat alone in the darkness. During that time, each member of the team had gone up to check on him. But the Autobot Avenger was unresponsive each time.

The Teen Hero was currently sitting on the edge of his bed. His curtains were drawn shut and his lights were turned off. He had hardly moved from that spot since his encounter with Kang. The knowledge that his mere presence could cause the death of all life on Earth was something that did not weigh well on the young mans' consciousness. The scare that once held the guilt of his lost family had now been reopened and then stretched further to hold the guilt that he was now feeling.

Braedey felt a buzzing in his pocket, out of reflex he reach into his pocket and pulled out his phone. He looked at the screen and saw he had received a message from Carol. "R U OK?" The message read. This was the twentieth message she'd sent him in the past 24 hours. But, like before, Braedey ignored the message and placed the device back into his pocket.