🌞Chapter 22🌻

🌞🌻

Gulf squeezed the gasoline bottle, watching the car retreat into the night. Then he turned to face the factory.

He took out a cigarette, lit a match---then suddenly remembered he was carrying gasoline. He'd have a smoke on the bank first. After all, he only intended to start a small fire, one which wouldn't spread.

That would be plenty enough. He only wanted to scare the old man. He could do this alone, without getting First involved. If all went well, he wouldn't get caught.

Sorry, old man. Sorry I became a thug.

Since meeting Rachan and Mew, Gulf's normal state of mind had completely crumbled. Why did it feel so strange to have other people care about him?

He wasted an hour lying on the bank, trying to steel himself for the task. He counted the few visible stars, then finally headed for the factory.

The building was shrouded in silence, except for the noise from an occasional passing taxi. Gulf looked around for cop cars, then dived under the open shutter doors to the factory.

Huh?

He sensed something was wrong and switched on the flashlight.

"Aaah!" he screamed  dropping the bottle of gasoline.

Someone was standing right in front of him.

"Sir! It's me!" First yelled, picking up the bottle.

"Idiot! You scared me!" Gulf growled, his heart beating wildly.

Why the hell was First here? Gulf had a bad freling about this. If First was here, then it was very likely someone else was, too.

"I suppose Mew is here as well?" Gulf snapped, his voice echoing in the empty factory.

He swung the flashlight around. Suddenly he felt a warm breath on the back of his neck and jumped with surprise.

"You found me," Mew said cheerfully.

"You jerk! Don't get in my fucking way!" Gulf screamed.

"You're late," Mew said. "First and I have been drinking here. But I'm not leaving until you pay your debt. One day late and you'll pay with your body..."

"What the fuck? Just shut the hell up!" Gulf hissed, not wanting First to hear. He glanced down at the mess they'd made. Must have been a real party. Unbelievable.

Just then, Gulf realized he didn't just smell alcohol. The air was rank with the odor of gasoline. Suddenly he felt scared.

"First! What the hell are you doing?" he yelled.

The acrid smell made him feel dizzy. Shining flashlight on the ground, he saw dark liquid spreading across the floor.

"You said you wanted to start a fire, sir." First said drunkenly, staggering as he swung the bottle.

"You fucking idiot! What the hell do you think you're doing?! If you light it now, we'll all die!" Gulf continued to yell frantically.

"But, sir! You wanted a big, wonderful fire..."

"I was exaggerating!" Gulf said.

But First was really out of it. Gulf saw a glowing cigarette dangling between his lips. The bastard would get them all killed! But before Gulf could scream a warning, the cigarette fell from First's mouth.

In the next insant, the entire floor was covered in blue flames.

TBC