🌻Chapter 40

🌻

Gulf stamped out his cigarette and readied himself.

When he was in the Kantou Hinodegumi, he needed permission from the president to act. Now he took orders from no one. The only downside was that he had no back-up for situations like this one, walking straight into the enemy's camp. He wasn't even carrying a knife today.

But pulling a knife could make everything worse.

To Gulf, a knife was just another threat, he never actually used it as a weapon. If he was caught brandishing one, he'd get sent to prison.

He stood outside the door and pressed the intercom button. Almost instantly, someone answered, some young punk who manned the entrance. Gulf was in no mood to chat with underlings today, and pushed right past him. The poor kid was too shocked to do anything.

Inside, Gulf saw a long hallway, plus an office lined withb desks. He also recognized two Seishoukai Yakuza he slightly knew from before.

"I need to speak to AA about Heart System's debt," he called out.

He squared his shoulders, his hands still thrust in his pockets. The Hinodegumi was a small gang. Though Gulf had been a leading member, he no longer had that position. But he didn't want them to know that.

"You're Gulf, right? You look different," a guy said, getting out from behind his desk.

It must have been strange for him to see Gulf dressed like a rich boy.

The Yakuza looked him up and down. "You're looking damn good, Gulf. Been selling your body or something?"

"Shut the fuck up. I asked to speak with AA. AA!" Gulf screamed.

One second later, a stream of black coffee splashed over his head.

Luckily it was cold, but Gulf was still stunned for a moment. Evidently, they were totally unafraid of an ex-Yakuza, which made Gulf's blood boil.

"Bastard!" he spat out, grabbing the Yakuza by his collar. He gave the man a swift, strong punch, then kicked him over his desk.

The Hinodegumi may have been small potatoes, but they had lots of fighting experience. Victory always came to whoever made the first move. Gulf thought more guys would appear, but no one did. He marched out into the corridor ro find the young punk looking terrified.

"Where's everybody today? Where's AA?" he demanded, grabbing the kid's collar. Suddenly, the door swung open. A fist flew at him from behind. He dodged the attack, but just barely. As another fist pummeled into his stomach, he doubled over in pain. In a fight like this, just one second of hesitation often proved fatal.

"You've got some guts, brat," he hissed.

Through his pain he heard more Yakuza quickly approaching. Unable to defend himself, he turned his back to the wall and kneeled on the floor. Two men grabbed his arms and twisted them back.

"You're AA," Gulf choked.

Ten henchmen surrounded AA, who was as tall as Mew. He also wore glasses, unusual for a gangster. Gulf had heard he was a graduate of a prestigious university, but the Yakuza world was filled with lies. Either way, AA was a modern "intellectual" Yakuza, fairly handsome, but also quite jittery.

"Why did you storm into my office? Explain," AA asked quietly, pushing his glasses up his nose.

Gulf felt instantly overwhelmed. This man could unleash the entire Seishoukai Tokyo branch on him with a single word. Coming here without back-up had been way too reckless, and now Gulf was terrified. If he'd been a regular guy, the Yakuza wouldn't touch him. But he was ex-Yakuza, which meant they could beat him to a pulp without fear of police retaliation.

Gulf, still kneeling on the ground, defiantly raised his chin. If he let this man mock him, it would definitely be all over. Fixing his eyes on AA, he stated his reason for being there.

"I'm here about Heart System's debt. You sold what Lovely had marked as collateral."

"So you're here for a piece of the action, eh? Sorry, it's first come, first served," AA sneered.

"Don't give me that bullshit!" Gulf growled.

The Yakuza on his left and the Yakuza on his right both punched him hard in the gut. He lost consciousness. When he came to, his head was hanging inches from the floor.

AA strode towards him and said, "Sorry, Gulf, I had no choice but to beat you up. I can't have people insulting me."

The trademark Yakuza growl was familiar music to Gulf's ears. But why this was all happening, he didn't understand.

Bastard!

TBC