🌻Chapter 29

🌻

The full-length mirror reflected a young man in a white suit and crimson shirt, which was left open at the neck to show off a large gold medallion.

The young man pushed back his hair and looked at himself. Attractive, yes, but he certainly didn't look law-abiding. Gulf Kanawut smiled grimly.

He pulled a cashmere jacket over his shoulders, wrapped a vermilion scarf around his neck, and completed the look with a brand-new pair of shiny white shoes. Then heposed in the mirror once more.

He put one finger to his chin and the other hand in his coat pocket. This was his arrogant pose. Then he lowered his jaw and glared at his reflection. That was his intimidating pose.

That's it.

Perfect.

He looked menacing enough to frighten a child in the street,  the exact effect he was aiming for. Just as he was about to leave and face the world, an approving voice shouted behind him, "Sir, you're looking great!"

Gulf turned around. First stood gaping in amazement, his face flushed. When Gulf was excommunicated from the Kantou Hinodegumi, he had tried to get rid of First. But First had flat-out refused and now they lived together.

Gulf's ten-year-old apartment had two bedrooms, a dining roon, and a kitchen. It had looked pretty shabby until First fixed it up after he moved in.

After being initiated with the ceremonial sharing of sake at a young age, Gulf had risen to a high position in his Yakuza gang. But three months ago, he had been excommunicated, kicked out of the Yakuza world.

Once your ties had been cut, there was no way you could apply to another Yakuza group. Word got around, though the Yakuza were now so desperate for new members, they might take someone back without question.

But Gulf wanted to live an honest life--so cutting ties with the Yakuza had been a good thing. The biggest problem now was his lack of "normal" job experience. He only knew the criminal underworld, and now he'd been pushed into the life of an ordinary working man. Mew Suppasit had even offered hin a job at Lovely, one of the top 10 leading company, but Gulf had flat-out refused.

Gulf still had a debt with Mew to the tune of six million. He now made money collecting on bad debts for Lovely and taking a commission of five percent, just like he did in the Yakuza.

He no longer had his gang's backing to do this job, but that wasn't necessary, since he mostly dealt with law-abiding people. A few gentle threats with his well-trained Yakuza drawl was usually enough for people to quickly cough up the money. When that didn't work, he collected the money by force. His new job was pretty much the same as his old job, but since he was no longer tied to gangs, he could work at his own pace. It wasn't too bad, really.

The only problem is, Mew keeps begging me to accept an official position in the company.

Gulf had gradually warmed up to Mew and his other co-workers. But he still wasn't sure if he wanted Mew's official employee.

He'd been a Yakuza for so long, he wasn't even sure what else he could do. If he worked directly for Mew, then Mew would have even more power over him. Gulf didn't want that. Everything he did now was exactly what Mew desired. His work and personal life were all dictated by Mew.

I want to be on an equal footing with him.

Leaving the criminal world was hard. It was all he had known for years. He couldn't just become some obedient pet, wagging his tail when his master called.

"I look good?" Gulf asked First.

He jammed his hands into his pockets and lifted his head. No doubt about it, his sense of style was still very much Yakuza. Dressing this way was more effective for collecting debts, and also made Gulf feel comfortable. He was not ready for a gray salaryman's suit just yet.

I wouldn't mind wearing something like Mew's though.

Gulf's mind painted a picture of Mew in his expensive, branded garments. You didn't need to see the tag to know that Mew's fine British suits were top of the line.

"You look really good! Going on a date?" First asked cheerfully.

"A date?" Gulf frowned, startled by First's words.

He was actually headed to the Lovely Kantou branch office to repay his debt to Mew. But in some twisted sense of the word, it might be considered a "date." He eyed First with suspicion.

"Don't get mad, boss!" First begged. "But you're all dressed up and looking excited, just like when you dated those fine bitches."

"Fine bitches? Don't say shit like that," Gulf said gruffly, hitting First over the head. He turned around and strode out the door.

With his coat flapping in the wind, Gulf headed out into the night. Pedestrians coming the other way stepped aside to avoid the tough-looking man.

Gulf felt upset that First had noticed how happy he seemed to go out to repay his debt.

Dammit!

Why did First have to sound so obvious? Now Gulf was really fuming.

Why the fuck would I be excited?

Spurred on by rage, Gulf quickened his pace.

TBC