🌞Chapter 35🌻

🌞🌻

The restaurant Mew had selected required formal attire only. A doorman hurried to open the door as they approached. Gulf felt a bit nervous, but he didn't really need to be. All he had to do was copy what Mew did. They left their coats with the cloakroom attendant, then were shown to a private room.

The high-class cuisine astounded Gulf with their exquisite flavors. He gobbled down everything in sight, filling his empty stomach.

Mew always took him to great restaurants, but, somehow, today seemed special. As they waited for dessert, Gulf asked Mew a frank question.

"What's the matter with you today?"

Something was definitely up today---the classy restaurant, expensive suit. Mew had spent a small fortune on him, but why?

Mew smiled demurely, in a manner befitting the expensive surroundings.

"Today is December 4th," he beamed. "Don't you remember
something about this day?"

"Huh?" Gulf muttered.

Just then, the waiter carefully placed a beautiful dessert in front of Gulf. The lights dimmed as the waiter soaked the cake with brandy and lit a match. A crown of blue flames burst up.

"Happy Birthday," Mew whispered.

Gulf watches the flames burn until they went out and the lights came back on.

Birthday?

"Oh," he said.

He had completely forgotten. His family never celebrated birthdays. Instead, his mother usually cursed that she had ever given birth to him in the first place. He was at a complete loss for words.

Smiling, Mew pulled out a beautifully-wrapped box.

"Here's your present," he said.

"Wasn't the suit enough?" Gulf said. "You're giving me more?"

Mew kept smiling.

"Open it," he said.

Gulf obediently did as told. The waiter quickly served them coffee and left them alone.

Inside the larger box was a small box marked "Rolex". Gulf's heart thumped as he opened it. Inside was an Oyster Perpetual Day-Date watch.

Whoa!

Ten small diamonds glittered around the cool blue watch face. It was gorgeous, the king of Rolex watches, a real status symbol. So beautiful, it almost took Gulf's breath away.

"I..." he stuttered, grasping for words. Was this really a present? But it was worth nearly eight million!

He had admires this same watch on Mew a while back, and actually sent First for a Rolex catalog. But after checking out the price, he had quickly given up his dream of actually owning one.

"A perfect match." Mew lifted his sleeve to show Gulf his watch.

"Huh?" Gulf gasped, his pupils dilating. So now they had matching watches, just like a couple in love.

He was elated to have something he had wanted so badly. Though one might question Mew's spending habits, as far as Gulf was concerned, he was just happy to receive something so wonderful. True, being together still felt a bit awkward and embarrassing, but he was very thankful for Mew's gifts.

"Thank you," he said gruffly.

Mew smiled broadly. "You're welcome."

"How did you know I wanted this? Did First tell you?" Gulf asked.

"Yep," Mew replied. "First is an excellent source of information. I hear he's living at your place now?"

"Only because he asked to, but it's starting to get a little annoying," Gulf grumbled.

Unlike Gulf, First had never taken part in the sake-sharing ceremony. He could go anywhere, but refused to leave Gulf's side. He also did all the housework, so Gulf really couldn't complain much.

"By the way, have you noticed that I'm now Lovely's Kantou Branch Manager?" Mew asked between sips of coffee.

Gulf's eyes popped wide open. He hadn't noticed.

Lovely had grown rapidly in recent years, riding the tail of the quick-loan boom. There were now 1,500 branches across the country. He remembered seeing this number on a poster inside the Kantou Branch.

The Kantou area included a few hundred branches and now Mew was at the top of the heap.

"Wow," Gulf whistled. "And you're only 29. Guess your family really is wealthy."

"The branch manager has a lot of authority. The first one designed the company that way," Mew said, taking out a gold business card holder and passing it to Gulf.

Gulf assumed it held Mew's new business cards, but the cards inside read "Lovely (Ltd.) Kantou Branch Assistant to the Branch Manager, Gulf Kanawut".

Gulf felt pleased but, at the same time not. He didn't like being asked to totally abandon his freedom.

"Is this some kind of joke? I never agreed to work for you," he griped in a low tone.

But this didn't work on Mew, who returned Gulf's menacing look with a smile.

"I thought about talking you into it before I gave them to you," he said. "I knew you have no job plans at the moment. And it would be nice to have you all to myself."

Mew's methods were a mystery to Gulf. If Gulf didn't watch out, he'd always be Mew's underling. He started to throw the business cards back to Mew's face.

"That's solid gold," Mew said calmly.

"Ngh." Gulf grunted, stopping himself.

He couldn't treat something of value like that. He'd been broken for just too long.

"Please just take them. You don't have to use them," Mew whispered.

"I'll take them, but I don't know if I'll use them," Gulf said reluctantly, tucking the cards into his chest pocket.

An honest man's suit. An honest man's business cards.

Gulf was gradually undergoing a complete transformation---yet for some reason, he felt happy.

But he still couldn't admit it to himself.

TBC