🌻Chapter 47

🌻

Gulf woke up with a stinking hangover.

Where am I? Why am I here?

He was in a dreary room, surrounded by concrete walls. The only furniture was a shabby bed, a battered desk, and a metal chair. He was sprawled on the bed, covered by a thin blanket.

He stared at the ceiling with half-open eyes. He really could use a cigarette.

Damn. I'm all out.

After staggering out of Mew's house the night before, he had gone drinking. He was totally plastered when AA found him.

That bastard! Threatening me!

"I had to take my employees that you punched to see a doctor," AA had said. "I also had to file a report. Now everyone will know who beat them up. It was Gulf Kanawut, Lovely Kantou Branch, Assistant to the Branch Manager. If I went to the police now, there'd be a big scandal. Wouldn't look good for your boss, either."

If he didn't want to cause trouble for Mew, Gulf had no choice but to work for AA. But he knew AA would only use him and toss him away. If he did the Seishoukai's dirty work, it was only a matter of time before he was picked up for something. But at least his deal with AA would let Mew off the hook.

Gulf had climbed into AA's car to talk it over with him, despite the fact he felt totally wasted. The smooth motion of the car, along with his exhaustion from being used by Mew, had put Gulf right into sleep.

Oh. I must be in Shinjuku. This must be the Seishoukai office.

He sat up, but lacked the energy to look out the window. He sighed and smelled his breath, which reeked of alcohol. He rubbed his temple, wishing that he had some Tylenol. His head was now pounding.

Then the metal door burst open. In came AA, wearing a fine suit. Three minions pompously followed behind him.

"You're up already? Still drunk?" AA scoffed.

"I'm not drunk," Gulf said.

He swung his legs off the bed as AA's henchmen eyed him with hostility. They looked more than ready to start a fight. One had a bruised face, Gulf vaguely remembered punching the guy.

He looked casually around the room, searching for a possible weapon. He really needed a metal pipe, but there was only the metal chair. If it came down to it, he'd have to fight with his fists.

"You probably don't remember how you got here," AA said. "One of my men had to prop you on the bed or you would fallen asleep on the floor."

"Cut the crap," Gulf growled.

"Don't speak to me like that. You have to follow every single order I give. Remember that," AA sneered, looking crazed.

Gulf turned his head and cursed to himself. But he had to keep quiet, even when the boss insulted him. The other men still looked angry.

"Sir, let us teach him a lesson," one suggested.

Gulf scoffed. He was in no mood to be intimidated by lowlifes. Besides, the way that AA was gawking at him really bothered hin. He returned the look with an arrogant stare, while AA talked to his men.

"Wait," AA ordered then turned back to Gulf. "First let's see how useful you are. You already bowed to me. This time, kiss my shoe and beg like a dog to join the Seishoukai."

AA looked euphoric. He pulled out the business card and flashed it at Gulf. Seeing it again made Gulf boil with rage. Because of this bastard he'd had to leave Mew and step back into the murky Yakuza world.

If he could get the business card back, there would be no physical evidence he was ever affiliated with Lovely. He had to make that a priority.

He was livid beyond words, surrounded by Yakuza in the enemy camp. No matter how strong he was, he could never overpower them all, Still, he didn't intend to kiss and make up yet.

He slowly stood up and looked at AA. Everyone in the room felt the tension and froze, waiting to see what would happen next.

Gulf moved closer to AA. The Yakuza'a henchmen scurried to protect him.

"I told you to kiss my shoe!" AA ordered.

Gulf pushed some men aside and kneeled down. Then he lowered his head, waiting for just the right moment.

In a flash, he grabbed the card from AA's hand.

"Bastard!" AA cried out.

The men moved faster than AA and tried to grab Gulf's shoulders.

Throwing them off, Gulf swung his fist up.

"Get the fuck off!" he yelled.

First there was a cracking sound, then a man fell back, blood dripping from his nose.

The other henchmen went berserk cursing Gulf.

"BASTARD!"

"Get him!"

Gulf dashed to the window and quickly opened it. It was blocked by metal bars, making escape impossible. He slipped the business card through a crack and out into the world. The wind instantly picked it up and blew it away.

Suddenly, he sensed someone behind him. He ducked just as a fist skimmed his head.

Now he was trapped in an all-out fight, as even bigger thugs arrived to help their comrades.

TBC