CHAPTER 67

Diana

"So what are your plans for Valentine's day?" Alice asked and I flinched snapping out of my thoughts.

"What?"

"Sheesh, what kind of luck is this? The first friend of the year I actually make is actually a clueless bastard in all accounts. Seriously? Are you sure you are in the 21st century?"

"Where else would I be?" I asked taking a sip of my tea my gaze focused outside on the many people rushing to work.

"You are hopeless, you know that."

"I prefer ignoring majority of what doesn't involve me."

"Even Valentine's day?" She asked and I pursed my lips frowning a little.

"Is there any significance to the celebration?" I asked and she looked at me as if I was a fool but I decided to turn a blind eye. "To answer your question, I'm not sure. I don't think so."

"You're not sure? Not even joining the others in the school's Valentine fair?" She asked and I shrugged wondering just how these people could afford spending all that money every year.

As far as I knew they really do make it a Fair despite the so called rules on PDA on campus. From putting shops with little trinkets to couple themed games and events and ending a three hour break before a school dance set for the evening. Come to think of it, I did hear them planning for this weekend and Alice's topic of the week had been on the proposals going on in school, at least the dramatic ones. Sigh, I never did think if be at this point.

"Most of my days and holidays have always been spent with Jaime. He might came down here," I said and she spat out her drink the drops missing me narrowly.

"You are spending the day with him!?"

"I said might. I'm not sure," I said and she didn't bother hiding her disdain.

"For someone smart, you are pretty much an idiot. Why on earth would you ditch your boyfriend on the day many couples wait for year after year?" She scolded and I bit my tongue unable to respond as I fell into a daze.

Ryder. We hadn't seen each other for the last couple of days since Heather walking in on us. Well, if you don't consider that he'd driven us to and from the mansion that day. The rest of the weekend was a blur. Due to Wilder's persistence in pleading me to stay for the rest of the week in the hall, I'd agreed. On the second day of my stay, as the next party followed and cleared, he came some time after I fell asleep and left before I work up. Though I was sure I wasn't meant to know, I was trained to be vigilant of my surroundings. On the third day, I came to learn that the family normally stayed on the west wing of the house, on the opposite side of the many rooms. Most guest bedrooms and living spaces on the ground and first floors. The brothers had theirs on the second, the parents and other seniors on the third and on the fourth a massive gallery belonging to their late mother where Wilder took me to as he gave a grand tour. Since they were moving to the west wing, I was placed in one of the four doors on the second floor. To my surprise, all the rooms were suites. All two-bedroom with a living space and a kitchen in each. And so were all the others in the third floor. This definitely gave me a peek into their wealth after a brief explanation. Apparently the massive house was part of their mother's dowry. Built it from scratch with her own savings and gifted to her two sons after her passing or so my intel told me. On my fourth and fifth days all I had managed so far was to glimpse at him from afar.

Whenever I considered to approach something would come up and most times by the name of Heather made it her mission to be around him 24/7 and I decided I needed a break, hence coming to Alteir. I'd taken some days off but even if I was here the old couple wouldn't let me work and I called Alice out for breakfast. Being here, now I realized, was a mere excuse so I wouldn't go back any time soon. Of course I could just leave but my conscience wouldn't let me even when I had to endure Wilder's pitiful act of cheering me up in the name of I could die of anything but sorrow and grief because of a certain hothouse. However, it's no doubt that we got over what hurdle we had between us, not there was one and now we were sworn soul sisters, or so he calls it. Though at times the nasty voice at the back of my head never fails to flare up reminding me that the only reason we get along so well is only because with Heather around we can't seek or give the attention we desire.