CHAPTER 69

Pit! Patter!

Came the sound of small footsteps walking down the corridor. With an upright posture, the pale figure reeked mostly of nobility maturity that you would only find on adult. The girl in red clothing fluttering about around her as she walked and black waist long hair held up by a jade pin, made slow but sure steps in the empty corridor seemingly unafraid. On normal days, a small strip of clothing matching her dress would be wrapped over her eyes but not today. The little girl had always had problems with her eyesight. Seeing on most days and sometimes naught. Her most trusted doctor had said that her vision would never return to full strength and of late it hadn't seemed true much to the relief of the small girl. From seeing blurs of color to just about clear enough to navigate and making out features on people.

On most days, I was watching on the sidelines but here I was. Walking the same steps and in the small body of a girl around 6 or 7 years of age, and not able to control my body. In other words, it felt like I was merely the conscious of the little girl.

The air was filled with the smell of moist soil, as if it had freshly drizzled, but she figured it was merely because of the melting layer of snow from the previous night. Stepping into the path she had normally stepped on many days, she stood about a frown on her face as she looked around as if looking for someone. Standing there for a while and at a loss with a pitiful expression on her face, she turned back to the corridors seemingly hesitant. She didn't know how much time had passed but when she turned back she had a determined expression. Taking long strides, as much as her small legs could allow, she went back onto the path, following it to the tinted glass door at the end of it where the smell was strongest. She couldn't help but think it was weird but didn't pay mind to it.

Aunt must be watering plants early today, she thought with a giddy smile her steps even more rushed than before but as she got closer to the door, her feet seemed to be lagging. Gravity was truly, a very strange phenomenon.

And then the badgering dread begins at the pit of her stomach. The girl might have not registered it but I could. It was clear her natural instincts, like any another creature, was alert and alarming the person to evade the danger. But the girl curious and wary for her aunt badgered on. The girl, probably because was still young, didn't register the scent as well as I did as I was older. Blood, I thought as a numbing and paralyzing fear struck my body and for a moment I waited for consciousness to reign me back to reality. I have never gotten as close as ten feet near the doors or close enough to discern the scent but unfortunately not this time. The girl badgers on!!!

As she nears the doors, she is finally able to discern the wet patch of dark liquid on the dark wooden deck and she freezes wondering if she should go back and get her brother to bring her back here. In a rare moment of childishness, she decides that the brat would probably make fun of her and decides to go in by herself, ignoring the voice at the back of her head to turn away and ran as far as she can. Just as she was about to reach for the door knob, another small figure shows up.

"Anlan!? Come here, quickly."

On hearing the familiar voice she turned around to finally see the face belonging to her friend. Numerous times she had touched his face but it had to be much better if she actually actually saw him face to face but alas the figure hid itself in the bushes. She could see his outline but not as clearly as she saw them. His eyes. They had caught her attention at first glance. The blue orbs. Round and bright in abundance of the colour of frost she'd vaguely seen on the past few days of light snow, and yet they looked so cold that they did not match the warm voice with underlying tones of worry and concern that she probably couldn't discern as he beckoned for her, still hiding in the bushes.