CHAPTER 40

As you might have figured, I'm not a fan of social places. Could be because I was normally an awkward kid, until I came here and learnt I could make so many friends in a week? Well friends of friends were being friendly, I guess it counts as something, but here I felt out of my element. And even if I did show a slight interest, I was only here for others. I mean it had been Alice's idea that we meet up tonight before Addie's one hell of a birthday party tomorrow night but I wasn't really going to complain. For the school of the snobby, rich and pretentious, sometimes all people took school spirit seriously. I mean there were even parents in the crowd. If this was just a scrimmage game, I'd hate to see the homecoming game.

With no Jaime to distract me, or Ethan to be his cocky and flirty self since he was playing, assuming his constant winks were actually thrown my way, I resort to people watching which isn't at all calming and fun without anyone to laugh it up with and I figured I'd wasted enough time here, I thought starting my way out through the cheering mass and for a moment I was glad my seat was perfectly placed for easy access and exit but it didn't necessarily mean I was safe from stray hands and elbows, I thought rubbing my shoulder just as I got out only to come face to face with the last person I expected to see here and I didn't even bother to hide my frown, even if everything in me wanted to run my eyes all over him but it was a luxury I wanted to deny myself with no avail. My breath still hitched at the sight of those deep blue eyes that reminded me of the ocean. In some light the deep blue waters in others the sheet blue of the calm ocean on a sunny day.

"Wow, you look..great. You always look great," he said nervously and I crossed my arms across my chest giving him an are you kidding me look.

"You left," I said and an emotion I couldn't quite describe passed through his eyes and he grimaced.

"I didn't think you wanted to see me again," he said in a low voice and the voice of nonchalance wasn't lost to me. Even when he wasn't trying he still sounded arrogant but something tells me he rather call it confidence.

"And when did you decided that?" I asked regarding him with an expressionless face.

"I figured I'd made a fool of myself. I just..had to," he said with a sigh and I found myself shaking my head before I looked up at him. I had the right to make that decision didn't I?

"You did," I said and he frowned as I made to brush past him and he caught my wrist.

"Diana wait. You don't understand," he said and I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion, taking back my hand.

"Actually, I do. And perfectly for that matter," I said and he looked beyond agitated. Clearly not used to explaining his behavior, not that I cared anyway.

"It's not like that," he said with a sigh before looking back at me. "You shouldn't have had to see me like that. So out of control and my emotions all over the place. I could have.."

He said almost bitterly and I narrowed my eyes at him as I missed the last part. So this is what it was about. His pride, I thought with a frown as I regarded him once more.

"Well obviously you don't have to worry about that. I'm not a kiss and tell kind of girl, not that it matters anyway. I doubt anything can downsize your humongous ego, so no worries," I said and his frown deepened.

"That's not.. please stop being difficult."

"Then stop disrespecting me. I have a right to make my own decisions."

"But I do respect you."

"Well, you have a funny way of showing it. You are not going to make a fool out of me Ryder Stone," I said hands on my hips and his lips curved at the sides and I narrowed my eyes at him. He was effing laughing at me.