CHAPTER 48

"No, I mean yes, you're right. I'm not as weak as they presume me to be. And I won't give them the satisfaction of thinking so."

"That's all I needed to hear babydoll," he said with a toothy grin that I returned before I realized the beauty of where we were as I turned my body around.

"It's beautiful," I said as I watched the breathtaking show of lights.

"Yeah... enough for merit to a New Yorker's eye?"

"Doubt it, but in my eyes it's a close second," I said before I heard him him and he nuzzled my neck gaining my attention as I turned to him a smile on my face.

"Come on, let's get more comfortable, babydoll," he said before getting off and helping me off the bike and my clumsiness chose to step in at time. Or rather the ground was too soft for the heels. "What the..? Fuck!? On my back you go."

"I don't think that's necessary.." I started but he was having none of it not letting my feet touch the ground before grabbing the shoes and snapped the heels off. "Ryder!?"

"It's not like you could walk with them anyway," he said dismissively and I groaned.

"Kate is gonna flip when she sees them."

"Well maybe she should have thought twice before sending you on that blind date," he said and I let out a sigh deciding not to dwell on it as he approached the tree I hadn't quite noticed before and had me sit on his lap as we watched the city quietly.

"Something's bothering you," I stated and I could hear him freeze for a second or so before I looked at him. "You've sighed like five times in the last five minutes."

I said and he looked embarrassed for a brief moment and I bit back a laugh.

"Were.. were you considering it? Being his girlfriend I mean?"

"No, I was being too mad I had been brought into the middle of that."

"That?" He asked and I told him about my thoughts about his father and honestly I was glad someone else shared my anger.

"But would you in other circumstances?" He asked and I mused quietly. I hadn't actually thought about it.

"No, I don't think so. I mean I've been like on two 'dates' with the guy and the first couldn't have even been a date, and you see how the second turned out. Why? Jealous?" I said jabbing at his chest and he suddenly sputtered out a cough making me laugh. "You're cute when you pretend to be jealous."

"I am many things but I am not ever not direct with what I want," he said and I looked at him curiously.

'And what's that?' I wanted to ask but knowing that was something I wanted to put away for as long as I could and I dropped my gaze.

"You know the way you're fondling that tie anyone would think you have a tie fetish," he said change the subject entirely and I was glad, despite the weird grounds we were treading on.

"Who knows maybe I do," I said pulling him closer by his tie and he looked a little caught off guard as I straddled him, finding myself loosening it from his neck, my eyes never leaving his. "What I can handle myself just fine. Don't you like it rough?"

I asked cocking my head at him curiously as he watched me slightly dazed and I leveled my gaze with his as I grabbed his hand, following whatever crazy ideas drunk Diana had as I felt my eyes flutter close as I brush my lips against his.

"I guess I do," he said a little shakily and thinking with my hands and my brains probably out the window, I'm already pinning his hands behind his back and pulling the tie into a knot as first as I could.