CHAPTER 1

"Diana.. Diana? Are you even listening to half of what I'm saying?" My cousin Eve asked beside me and I turned to her slightly irritated.

"Huh!?"

"Come on, don't give me that look. It's only for a couple of months," she said and I snorted turning back to look outside.

"Yeah. A couple of months with strangers, in a strange place a strange house, just because you think it's what's best for me," I burst out angry and she pursed her lips in what I assumed annoyance.

"We talked about this. You said it was fine."

"Obviously it's not."

"They are good people Diana. You'll probably even like it there. The beaches, they even have a pool in the back yard," she said letting out a sigh and I gritted my teeth in anger.

"Just don't cause any trouble okay," she said coming to a stop making me roll my eyes getting out of the car before she could add on. "Aren't you even going to say goodbye?"

I heard her voice as I trudged towards the entrance but all I did was flip her the bird and I could vision the smile on her face as I walked away. What could I do? It wasn't like she would change her mind even if I tried convince her. What I had thought to be a good day had taken a turn for the worst when she barged into my room. No warning, no heads up but an hour later we were heading for the airport and it made me even more angrier as I thought about it. We were family. Wasn't I allowed even the slightest of a heads up before she took that job overseas. What would have happened if she hadn't been called earlier? Was this the same thing she would have done in a week?

But enough of that, it wasn't enough to burn my brains over. Maybe she was right. A new beginning was what I needed and even she knew it. Maybe that's why she took that fashion tour abroad. She, just like me, had one too many rough ones, I thought as my flight was called and I dragged my suitcase with me. And for a moment I wasn't even mad that she had booked first class for me.

To new beginnings. Diana, I hope you know what you're getting yourself into.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I looked at the house in front of me and I gaped in shock  One thing for sure, she wasn't kidding when she said this family was loaded. Not crazy rich loaded but all the same whoa. And this was coming just at the sight of the home from the outside. Or maybe it was the other houses in the area that gave me the idea. Middle class or maybe upper middle class but what do I care? They were just my host family for a couple of months till I was done with senior year. Great! Note the sarcasm, I thought starting my way to the door when it was suddenly opened and a young boy about 6 was rushing towards me.

"Woah, woah, slow down," I said regaining my balance as he sort of tackled into me but I steadied us both.

"Sorry," he said sheepishly and I chuckled before a voice followed and I looked up.

"Darius!? Come back here," an angry voice came from inside and he hid himself behind myself a mischievous look to him and I understood why as the second person came outside. "Darius... you're going to regret this...oh?"

"Hello," I said stifling a laugh as I looked at her amused as I looked at her robe colored self and she looked embarrassed. "That's ... quite a fashion statement."

I said referring to her green wet hair and she rolled her eyes as the boy behind me laughed.

"I assure you green wasn't usually my color until someone decided to mess with my shampoo."

"But I made you pretty now," he said and I laughed seeing her irritated face.

"You won't be saying that when I catch you," she said but even I could tell it was playful and I knew I would end up in the crossfire if I interfered. "You must be Diana. I'm Tess. The little troublemaker behind you is Darius."

"Well pleasure to meet you, despite the circumstances of course," I said as they both shook my hand laughing and I looked at Darius as I cocked his head, making me match his action amused.

"You are really pretty," he said after a while making me laugh.

"Why thank you?" I said and he smiled before taking my hand and pulling me with him into the house.

"Mom! Mom! She's here," he said and I trailed behind him.

"Already!? Oh my, the pictures don't do you justice," the blonde haired lady said pulling me into her arms before I could react.

Don't these people know, I don't take flattery well and if that was what I felt about compliments shouldn't they have done the Math of how I felt about hugs.

"Oh sorry I forgot."

"Hello Kate," I said as she pulled away sheepishly. "It's nice to put a face to the name and voice."

"I'd say the same," another voice one almost familiar came and we turned to the door. "Tony Wallace, we met about a month ago."

"Right, my cousin did some ads for some of your products," I said and he nodded.

"She's a good friend so naturally when she asked, well.."

"Right."

"Anyway, it's so nice to have you here, Diana. Tessa show her to her room, please," Kate said and I beamed a smile, even though small as Tess, or Tessa, entered the room fully dressed and the trace of green in her hair non-existent. That was fast.

"Okay," she answered before helping me with one of my bags before we ventured further into the house for a brief tour before we came to the room I was to stay in. "I hope everything is good enough for you."

"Why do I sense hostility with that?" I asked dropping my bag on the bed as I turned to her and she looked flustered. "You know what, don't tell me. This is nice."

"Yeah, Kate did all the interior designing of the whole house," she said as I came out of the closet. "Look I know we haven't exactly started on the right foot but maybe I could show you around the neighborhood you know."

"I'm not sure..."

"Come on, it will be fun," she said nudging me with her elbow and I run my gaze over the room before I nodded and she smiled.

"Okay, sure," I said with a shrug. "Just let me shower and change."

You know maybe this move wasn't going to be as bad as I thought it would be, but then again maybe I shouldn't be too quick to conclude. I might just jinx it.

             Vote, share and comment.