CHAPTER 30

"Oh my God, and did you see his pool?" Alice fangirled and I rolled my eyes.

This girl got excited way too quickly, I thought shaking my head at her antics. When I first told her about it, she thought I was messing with her. But oh so how quickly had she believed me when we pulled up at hers. She was more excited than I was or could be and we were supposed to just hang out. Though I was more sure it was for me and as the night progressed my theory was proven. Who plans a surprise sleepover for heaven's sake. Who does that? But I guess I should have been suspicious when he suggested an overnight, just in case.

"Yes, I was there with you, Alice," I said with a smile and Addie pouted.

"Why didn't you call me?"

"You said you were busy," I said and her frown deepened.

"But.."

"Suck it up. You were having much more fun with your new boy toy," Alice said and I snickered knowing this was an opening to another one of their banters, and I was happily distracted in my thoughts till they pulled me back into the conversation.

"Hey, how'd Ryder take the news about the incident with Heather?" Adelaide asked and I shrugged.

"Why..? I don't know, not sure why I should care though," I said and they looked at me horrified. "What?"

"You do see how he looks at you, right?" Alice asked and I rolled my eyes.

"Do I even want to know what you think about it?" I asked exasperated that they were bringing this up.

"I'm with Alice on this one. If he could I'm sure he'd jump you and fuck you like crazy all night long," she said dramatically and I cursed under my breath seeing how many people had turned at her comment.

"You two are crazy."

"Not crazy, just observant. I just think he likes you and what you believe is him picking on you, might be his way of showing he likes you," Alice said and I shook my head for even considering her words.

"Again crazy. And stop all of this. The last thing I need is rumors popping around about this. Walls have ears you know," I said shutting the locker door before I walked off.

I was already aware of the crazy attraction sizzling between us and I wasn't for it. The last thing I needed was these two making a big deal out of it. I didn't need anyone else having any ideas. Kaylee and Jaime had enough.

"I just had to come here of all places," I muttered under my breath tying my hair up into a messy bun.

"I don't think it's that bad," an all too familiar voice came behind me and I jumped startled and partly scared out of my wits.

"You've got to stop doing that. Where did you even come from?"

"I was around," Ryder said leaning against the wall of the gym and I let out a sigh leaning against the tree. "What's got you all droopy and pouty?"

He asked as I massaged the side of my head and closed my eyes.

"I'm beginning to reconsider my decision to go to high school," I said and I could feel his presence as he sat somewhere beside me. Though his warmth told me otherwise. I figured he was right in front of me, and I chose to keep my eyes closed.

"Why is that?" He asked and I peeked at him with one eye. "Okay, dumb question. It's high school. This stuff happens. Tell you what it will be over two weeks tops."

"I doubt that," I said and I could feel curious gaze on me. "If you haven't noticed, I'm now Heather's mortal enemy."

"She'll get over it."

"Or she'll make my life hell," I said before opening my eyes when I felt his gaze on me. "What? I asked for it. I could have walked away but I just had to stand up for myself."

I said sarcastically and he snickered.

"What?"

"You don't hear me complaining."

"And why would I care what you think?" I asked quirking an eyebrow in question but he only shrugged.

"Don't let her get to you princess," he said softly that for a moment I would have passed it off as a figment of my imagination as I caught his gaze slightly curious about the glint in his eyes before my eyes landed on the packet in his hands.

"Please don't tell me that's not what I think it is."

"Not a fan?" He asked and I narrowed my eyes at him, letting my eyes speak for me. "Okay."

He let out chucking the unopened packet of cigarettes away and I looked at him shocked before I frowned watching him curiously.

"Just like that? What's the catch?" I asked and he gave me an 'are-you-seriously-asking-me-that' look before he shrugged.

"I've been clean for months now anyway," he said and I narrowed my eyes at him as I sat up, matching his position on the bench.

"That means you were considering smoking once more," I said and he looked away ashamed and before I could stop myself I was already reaching out to touch his arm. "What's really going on?"

"I'm fine, really."

"Hmm, that bad."

"Oh why oh why did I think I can get anything past you?" He said dramatically and I slapped his arm.

"Just stay away from them," I said and he gave me a salute.

"Yes, ma'am," he said making me laugh.

"Who knew there was this side to you?"

"Me? Don't mind me. I'm only trying to make you smile," he said making me shake my head amused. "See you're not sad anymore."

"And you're surprisingly corny," I said and he winked at me.

"Only for you babe," he said and I shook my head amused as he pinched my cheeks. "Now come on let's get out of here."

"We can't just leave school, you know," I said digging my heels to the ground.

"Babe, have you met me?" He asked and I flicked his forehead. "Ow!? What was that for?"

"I told you to stop calling me that. And again we can't leave."

"Well, you're already skipping class..?"

"Because I got myself signed out early."

"Good. Then no one will miss you," he said and I rolled my eyes before crossing my arms at me. "Do I have to sling you over my shoulder again?"

"It's not like I have a choice in the matter anyway?" I said sarcastically and he smiled at me.

"You learn fast. Now skip along," he said and I let out a sigh picking up my bag.

"The things I do for you."

"What!?"

"Nothing," I said sweetly and he rolled his eyes at me yet I could see his lips curve up into a smile from the corner of my eye.