CHAPTER 27

Ryder

"Care to explain what exactly happened?"

She asked and I let my gaze roam over her briefly before I looked away. Would it be wise to actually let her in on the complexity of the situation in my family? I mean it's not deathly bad and yet it was complex in its own way and it had me worried as another question popped in my head. Would it even be worth it to trouble her as much? Maybe I was just over thinking it, I thought as I looked back at her letting the pout she'd unconsciously made get to me.

"I told you the truth. I was sparring with a friend," I told her honestly and I could see the uncertainty clear in her eyes and I couldn't exactly blame her.

"You said something about not being allowed to fight back," she said and my attention drawn by those plump pink lips and I looked away reluctantly.

Fuck!? This girl was too beautiful for her own good and it did things to me. Though it gets to a point I wonder if she is just clueless about it or that she just chooses to ignore it. But still the amount of concern she showed me today was just enough to skip a beat, and now I'm pretty sure it's not such a manly thing to say. Yet, I've never loved getting scolded like I had today. It might be just her nature but I couldn't explain the feeling as I let her do as she pleased. She wasn't like any other girl I've met and to a point I was shocked as to how she'd figured I was hurt. I admit, I keep to myself most of the time. There was a time I felt happy, I spoke a lot but things tend to change with time. And yet with her it feels like the heart I'd thought had gone cold was beating again. I know not the best of life choices but I wasn't a kid anymore. I wasn't full of hope and dreams like I was and my future was already set for me. At least I thought it was before I met a girl who could make me drag my beat up ass to school just so I could see her.

"A punishment," I said and she turned to me surprised.

"Really!?"

"Let's just say my father has a lot of expectations and I have trouble living up to them," I said truthfully and she seemed deep in thought before she spoke.

"It involves beating you till you bleed?" She asked confused and for a moment I had the urge to laugh. If only my chest didn't hurt at the slightest sudden movement.

"Believe it or not, he's never raised a hand on me not even as a child but it doesn't mean anyone else can't. Especially if I do something he doesn't really approve of," I said and I couldn't figure out the look on her face.

"It's still not right."

"It's just a punishment. It just means he expects more from me."

"By letting you get hurt," she insisted the pout back on her face and I was tempted to pull her close and kiss the life out of her, not literally but I'm pretty sure I'd make her see stars.

"Believe it or not, it makes us behave."

"Us?" She asked and I realized my slip up letting out a sigh.

"My brother and I."

"You have a brother?" She asked quirking that perfectly shaped eyebrow in question.

"The asshole practically disowned our family there's not much to tell about him," I deadpanned making her laugh and I smiled staring at her. She really had a beautiful laugh. I wish she'd laugh more often.

"I knew I was pretty sure we'd have something in relation to one another," she said and I looked at her surprised.

"Really?"

"It's complicated. My mother with her parties, my father with his business. No time for kids and so I set out with my cousin," she said with a shrug but I could tell it still hurt her to a certain extent.

"You do remember you still have me?" I said and she let a chuckle.

"Let's just hope they never hear you say that. We might not be close but I remember a declaration that I'd make male contact only after I was sixty," she said and I smiled.

"I'll say they've never met anyone like me," I said and her pearly whites showed drawing my own.

"I've heard about your dad and brother what about your mother?" She asked and I could feel my body tense and yet I didn't shrink back from the question or become closed off like I thought I would.

"Actually she passed away when I was 10," I said and she frowned.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to.."

"It's okay. I'm just surprised I..." I started before trailing off and she looked at me confused and I let my frown disappear as I smiled at her.

"She would have loved you," I found myself muttering under my breath but she didn't seem to have heard and I let out a sigh in relief.

"What's wrong?"

"I just took in a hard breath. I'm fine," I said but she didn't seem convinced.

"Do you want me to draw you a cold bath? It might do wonders," she suggested and all over sudden I felt bad she shouldn't worry about me or my troubles.

"No it's okay, I'll be fine. I just need to take it easy," I said before letting her eyes look me over.

"Did your brother do this to you?"

"Fortunately yes," I said and I could see her eyes widen. "Honestly I've been worse. Once I thought I was actually die. Of course it was also the day we decided never to let anyone execute them for us. I don't think I'd have felt better without you."

"I know I shouldn't be flattered since you're a charmer but of course. I am the best at what I do," she said bowing as she got to her feet and I let out a chuckle.

"And here, I thought you were humble."

"Well, I did learn from the best," she said almost sarcastically and I laughed.

"Touche."

"Hey, it's almost lunch. Any special orders?" She asked and I watched her as if she was the most intriguing person I've ever met. But it was probably true.

"That I get to stay in your wonderful company," I blurted out as fast and she laughed.

"Keep going and I'll give you a run for your money if my ego grows too big," she said and I chuckled. "Though you should probably stay in bed."

"And miss you cooking for me. I told you, our relationship feels like marriage already," I said and she narrowed her eyes at me, making my point for me. "Though I might not actually be able to hug you."

"Yeah, yeah, just don't overexert yourself. You're lucky you don't have a broken rib."

"Even if I did, I know my personal nurse would take care of me," I said and she glared at me.

"Keep it up and I might just break it myself," she said making me laugh as weirdly I believed she would.

I don't know, maybe it's just me but I could get used to this.