CHAPTER 9

Change. Something I've never liked and I don't think I will. My cousin Eve says it's because I'm not open to new ideas. Maybe it was true but hey, I was miles from the place I called home. I couldn't be any more open to ideas than this.

"So are you still coming to the party on Friday?" Alice interrupted my thoughts and I turned to her with a shrug. "Come on you promised."

"No I didn't. I just said I'd think about it."

"And?" She insisted but I ignored her question as I grabbed my milkshake.

"What are you doing here? Your friends are way across the room," I said glancing briefly at the table filled with cheerleaders and a couple not so subtly glaring daggers at me but I only tipped my cup at them and the so called Henley turned away from me nose held high and I chuckled.

"If I didn't know any better I'd think you were flirting with her," she said and I raised an eyebrow at her.

"That's the second most absurd thing anyone has ever said to me."

"What was the first?"

"That I'm a sociopath," I said and she laughed. "You don't believe that."

"You just need to get out more often. And I'm the girl to do it. Diana, you are the realist person I've ever met."

"Try again."

"If I would choose one person to be my friend even more than people I've known in like forever, it would be you," she said genuinely and I frowned.

"You shouldn't be fast to trust just anyone," I said and she smiled catching me off guard.

"The fact you said that shows I can trust you," she said and I smiled. That would have been my exact reply.

"I can deal with that. But I have to cut this short."

"Still running away from Stone. For the record, you shouldn't be afraid of him. Just don't get on his bad side and you'll be alright. And besides it's not like he gets his lunch here," she teased and I rolled my eyes as we dumped our trays.

"No. One our paths will never cross again and two, I'm not afraid of him. I mean he can't be that bad, right? And three, I'll probably kill him first."

"Sure."

I swear if I knew that would jinx the next three minutes of my life, I probably would have shut up, I thought as my gaze trailed from the frothy puddle forming around the leather boots to the face of their owner and I looked on in horror. Those fucking blue eyes.

Oh why did I decided to get a Coke today of all days? I lamented mentally watching as the coke dripping down the leather jacket and I gulped unconsciously backing away glad that the machine was near the door of the cafeteria. And what was worse this particular incident had attracted attention of everyone in the hall. I didn't take well to pressure, some anxiety of a sort and I usually acting impulsively.

"Uh some vinegar should fix that right away before it stains too much," I said feeling for the door before I pulled and rushed into the hall.

Why I was even running away from him, I had no idea. But with my hands shaking and thoughts all over the place, all I knew I'd that I had to hide and go calm down. At least I did, when I heard footsteps behind me. I had been many things, scared wasn't one of them. At least I didn't think I was scared. There couldn't be any other reason why I was hiding out in the bathroom other than that right. God get a grip on yourself, I chastised myself before I heard the door open.
He wouldn't dare. There had to be some sort of repercussion for this right?

If there was, he didn't seem to care.

"I know you're here. I just want to talk. I won't hurt you," he said his voice coming closer and silently I tucked my feet.