CHAPTER 20

"I think I have you figured out now," Ryder said and I turned my gaze to him.

We were seated on the couch in the game room and our movie muted when we realized it wasn't all that interesting as it seemed. My bare legs rested halfway on his and don't ask me how all I knew is minutes before we got ice cream my head was on his lap. Though I'm not one to complain.

"Oh yeah?"

"You're strong, confident, unafraid of most things like most people, if anything I'd say you're not like any other teenager I've met."

"I'll assume that's a compliment," I said and he grinned.

"It is. Though there's something I can't figure."

"What's that?"

"What's your story?" He asked and I looked at him questioningly. "I mean, I know you barely talk to or about your family. You have a cousin by the name Eve. A model and the most eccentric person you've ever met. You compare her to Alice. And you're here because she had to work. I see a loophole in your story."

"And you've watching too many crime movies and series," I said sitting up and I could see the gears in his head shifting as he watched me curiously and looking intrigued.

"Okay, so answer me this. Why is it that everytime to go to a new place or enter a room, you look around the place as if you're just waiting for the worst to happen?" He asked and I turned to him.

"You can never be too careful, is what I would say if this was part of something more than it was. Though just saying, if this was something bigger than it was, don't you think I'd be sworn to some sort of code of secrecy?" I asked and he chuckled sitting upright and lifted his hand to my face and I closed my eyes relishing the feeling as he trailed high up to the mark that I knew was there.

"How did this happen?" He asked his thumb trailed gently over the silver scar running from above my brow to beneath my eye.

Silver, graying barely visible unless you looked closely enough and the thought of it had my cheeks reddening.

"Freak accident," I said quietly and I could feel his intense gaze on me and I opened my eyes. "I was 8, I think. I was running. I don't remember much but I know it was dark, I didn't even feel the pain until my mother noticed it."

"Beautiful," he whispered and I looked at him confused but as it seemed the moment was over as he took the forgotten tub of ice cream from my hands.

"Come on, I'm taking you out," he said no pulling me to my foot.

"Say what now?"

"I think you've been couped up in here long enough."

"But I don't want to go," I whined and he pulled me close enough to whisper in my ear.

"Do I have to sling you over my shoulder again?" He said and I tensed.

"No."

"Good. Now get up there and get changed," he said pointing to the stairs and I frowned before turning to him.

"You know, it's a long way up there and I'd probably take long getting ready.." I started and he narrowed his eyes at me.

"If you think I'm going to go out like that, you have it coming for you," he said and I looked at him confused yet surprised. He'd never gotten mad at me before.

"Really? Try and stop me," I said turning away from him to slid on my sandals but before I could even pick one up he was bounding up the stairs with me slung over his shoulder.

I had to hand it to the guy. His stamina was impressive, given I struggled against him all the way there, till he dropped me on my bed and I glared at him as I pushed my hair out of my face.

"Do I have to get you dressed too!?" He asked and I looked at him shocked before I regained myself and smirked.

"You would like that, wouldn't you?" I asked managing to catch him off guard as I stood up to catch his gaze but only for a brief moment before he smirked at me.

"Babe, you know what happens when you bait someone," he asked pulling me to him and I looked at him wide-eyed at what he was implying at.

"You are really mean, you know that," I said pushing him away but he only smirked at me almost tauntingly and I huffed in anger rushing towards my closet to get away from him.

"You know I won't last out there," I said fixing my turtle neck as I came back out and I could feel his gaze on me and my own hardened. "What!? I wasn't aiming to impress."

I said but he only smiled pocketing his hands.

"I didn't say anything," he said raising an eyebrow at me and I tried not to show my embarrassment as I started my way downstairs.

"Yeah whatever," I said and he laughed following me.

"Though just saying, you'd look good in anything you wear," he said brushing past me as I stopped to slide on my sandals and I glared almost sheepishly at his back.

It still surprised me how even the smallest of compliments had me fluttering about like a high school girl with a crush, oh wait I was a high school girl, but with a crush? Not so sure about that part.

I thought before following him after I locked the door to find him waiting for me by his car.

"So where exactly are you taking me?" I asked him as he started the car.

"If I told you, it wouldn't be a surprise anymore, now would it?"

"You have no idea where we are going," I deadpanned and he grinned.

"Nope," he said and I shook my head amused.

But as much as I shared in his excitement, inwardly though, he had to bring me home barely hours after we left the house.