CHAPTER 10

Ugh! I hated mornings. That said I hated this one most especially. Why you ask? I could feel actual pounding in my ears as I tried to sit up. And that's not even part of it.

"Hey, hey slow down," I heard as a pair of hands settled on my shoulder pushing me back down and I frowned.

"Huh? What? Ethan, what are you doing here? Where...?"

"You're in heaven. Don't you remember? You died yesterday evening," he said before a smack reached my ears through all the blurriness as Tess came to view.

"Shut up you idiot."

"What!? I was just trying to answer her," he said but from the corner of my eye I could see Tess shake her head as I tried to sit up again when my blurry vision cleared, without any resistance this time.

"How are you feeling?"

"Honestly, like I got run over by a truck. What happened?"

"You tell me. One minute we're at Alex's soccer practice and the next we're bringing you home unconscious."

"Oh my God, Alyson," I jumped startled almost falling out of the bed, at the thought only to have Ethan steady me.

"Don't worry, I picked her up. I have to say I think Mrs K has a baby crush on her," he said cheekily and I let out a sigh.

"Thank God," I breathed out as a knock came on the door and Tony walked in, a tray of food in his hand.

"You're awake. I brought breakfast," he said and I frowned.

"Thank you but I'm not really hungry," I said and clearly it wasn't the answer he was expecting.

"Can you leave us alone for a second?" He said and the two left almost immediately.

"Look, there's no problem. I'm just not hungry."

"I heard you and I believe you," he said setting the food down and pulled the chair from the dresser beside my bed. "If I may ask, when was the last time you had a good night's sleep?"

"Honestly? Before my 8th birthday, give or take," I said with a shrug and he looked shocked.

"Umm, have you.." he started fumbling with his words but I cut him off.

"Gotten some help? Sure. Not much help though. Look, I have my doubts that the only reason Eve sent me here was so you could help me, being the chief of a hospital but please just quit while you're ahead."

"But I..," he started before he seemed to second guess himself and stopped. " Okay, just try to eat something. You've been out all night."

He said before leaving the room and I let out a sigh dragging myself out of bed and into the shower. This is going to be a long day. I could already feel it in my bones.

*************
"Back already. I told you we'd be good friends," Susan, the school nurse called out as I entered her office and I smiled.

If it weren't for Tony I wouldn't exactly have come here. And promising that I would see the nurse for a 'routine check-up' as he called it was the only way I could come to school today. I wasn't sick if that's what you're thinking, I just that I wasn't much of a morning eater. But that was only when it came to eating. The only issue I could ever admit to having however, was when it came to sleeping and the strange thing is I'm no insomniac. But it wasn't anything I'd admit out loud, not that anyone would understand.

"So you fainted?"

"Just exhausted and as you can see I'm alive and everything is functioning properly. And I didn't even have to get caffeine in my system. So I can leave right?" I said and she laughed.