CHAPTER 22

Ryder

"You're in a bad mood," Kaylee said as I walked into the kitchen.

"I'm always in a bad mood," I said and she chuckled as she continued chopping up vegetables.

"Sadly that's true," a new voice said from somewhere behind me as I got a soda can from the fridge.

"Hey, Alfred," Kaylee greeted as I tipped my can at him.

Alfred was, how do I put it, butler. Not that I needed one but my so-called father thinks otherwise. Not that I minded but if I was asked, Alfred was more a father to me, than my biological one was. Kaylee is his daughter, well adopted or so I figure. But all the same I considered them family, along with Cody and Ethan. Even if those two drove me crazy.

"Still getting into trouble?" He asked watching me curiously and I shrugged.

"Not as much as I thought," I said truthfully not looking at him.

"Really?" He asked surprised and I rolled my eyes.

So I had a bad streak here and there. It doesn't mean I can't change, or rather stay out of trouble for some time.

"What!?" I asked as he watched me strangely.

"Who's the girl?" He asked and I gave him a pointed look as I swallowed hard.

"What is up with you people?" I said and they both have me sardonic looks.

"Let's be serious for one second. You won't get into trouble only if someone is there to keep you out of it," Kaylee said and I rolled my eyes.

"And we both know those two friends of yours can't do it," he said and I looked at him shocked playing dumb.

"I don't need to be kept out of trouble," I said and they both gave me pointed looks. "Just saying I've changed. I learnt my lesson."

"And why are we hearing this now?" Kaylee teased and I frowned. "I mean it's been weeks since you got let off with parole."

She said and I rolled my eyes.

"My point still stands. I learnt my lesson and now I'm going to watch my TV in peace," I said heading out of the kitchen and I could hear Alfred chastising her and I let out a sigh of relief as I plopped down on the couch surfing through the channels.

She was way too nosy for her own good.

"You know you wouldn't have gotten all protective if she wasn't important to you," Alfred said behind me and I shrugged.

"I still have no idea what you're talking about."

"Just think about it but that's not why I'm here."

"Uh-huh," I said and he let out a sigh.

"You know you're going to sneak out you might as well take off the brace around your ankle," he said and I rolled my eyes.

"Why if you'll still know either way?"

"I'm more worried about what will happen since you're hellbent on getting on your father's nerves."

"He'll get over it," I said and I could hear him sigh.

"Whatever you say but if you asked me, I think maybe you should call her. It's about time you got yourself a girlfriend," he said throwing me a wink and I rolled my eyes.

"God, drop it already," I groaned in frustration and I could hear him laugh as he left me to my thoughts.

Damnit, now I'm thinking about her. Not that I wasn't doing it already but still. She had to be the first person who had caught my attention as she did. It was unexplainable yet it had me intrigued and panting for more, not literally though, you get what I mean. From her lovable giggle that had her eyes sparkling in innocent happiness in the least to the crinkle in her forehead as her eyebrows furrowed in annoyance. If I didn't know any better I'd think I was pussy whipped. But this was only because she drove me crazy and the fact that she invoked some sort of protectiveness in me. All I knew is that no matter what she'd always have it, even if she could take care of herself. At times it felt like all I wanted to do was tuck her in my pocket so she'd stop walking into trouble. She'd probably kick me but it would be worth it.

"Hey Kaylee, I'm sneaking out later tonight," I said popping my head in the kitchen and she turned to me surprised.

"You know, your average normal human being wouldn't actually say that out loud."

"You forget I'm not actually your average human being."

"Shut up. Just be careful out there."

"I'm always careful."

"Yeah sure," she said ruffling my hair. "Just make sure you come back in one piece, okay?"

"Okay fine," I said and she let me go unsatisfied knowing she couldn't do anything to change my mind, though deep down I knew she was somewhat glad I'd told her, in her own weird way. And tonight I felt like I needed out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Diana's POV
"My sweet sweet bed, I missed you," I mumbled happily diving into the covers.

As it turned out once you got the gym thing going on, it was almost hard to keep track of time. But it probably had something to do with the fact I was high on pent-up frustration and so it was three hours of gym time. A pretty good night if I may say so myself. But alas! There are some people that are way too jealous and selfish, I grumbled in annoyance as I reached for my phone. A reminder that I should turn off my phone while I was sleeping or rather trying to.

"This better be good?" I said when I realized it was barely past midnight. This was what happens when I decide to pick up Eve's video calls.

"We're going out to have some fun," Ethan said into my phone and I pulled it away from my ear. This guy was way too loud for his own good.

"What?"

"Just get out here," he said and I groaned inwardly sitting upright.

"Just tell me what's going on?"

"Okay fine. Action, wrestling, fighting," he said frustrated and I rolled my eyes.

"A normal boy's night?" I asked rubbing my eyes.

"I'm glad you understand," he said and I let out a sigh getting out of bed.

"Fine."

But even I wasn't that naive, I thought rubbing my stomach nervously trying to shrug off the weird gut feeling from the pit of my stomach that came as I grabbed a hoodie from my closet.

I needed to get new friends, ones that didn't turn on that little voice in my head that always had me on high alert. Maybe I'm just paranoid or nervous about meeting a certain someone. He was never too far away from Ethan or Cody, I thought thinking back to the couple of times he came over to Alex's. Though I thought it was safe if I kept out of sight and away from them till they left. But in my defense, I had my hands full with Alyson.