21: The Sports Festival Pt. 3

Izuku Pov:

I got ready for the first match. I wasn't fighting in it, but I was getting ready to analyze everything that I could see. The first matchup of the third event was Shinso versus Izumi. With this match, I would be able to see how Izumi would fight Shinso and how Shinso would try to use his quirk. I sat beside Kirishima and Ashido.

"Hey, Shigaraki," Ashido smirked at me.

"Hmmm?" I turned my head to her.

"Do you have a crush on Yagi?" Ashido smiled wider, "You were the one that teamed up with her first when she was by herself. Also, when those other students were talking about her, you called them out."

Everyone around us quieted down as they wanted to hear what I would say. I stayed silent for a while, but not because I was nervous, I was just confused.

"No," I tilted my head, "I don't have a crush on Yagi-san."

"Are you sure?" Ashido asked.

"Yes," I nodded.

"Really?" she asked again.

"Mmhmm," I nodded again while turning back to the notebook I had.

"What's that notebook?" Ashido moved on.

"O-oh, this is my analysis notebook," I smiled nervously. "I like analyzing different quirks and heroes."

"You're on your 14th notebook?" Kirishima asked from beside me, seemingly amazed.

"Y-yeah," my thumb hovered over the label on my notebook that said 14.

All of my other notebooks used to have my name on them, but I had whited them out after I moved to my room in the SOS. I was certain that Izumi, Katsuki, Shoto, and Shouko didn't know about my notebooks and hero analysis, so if they saw one, they wouldn't know who I was. For them to find out my identity from my notebooks, they would have to look inside and see the old analysis that I had on each of them.

We chatted about random things before Present Mic announced that the first match was about to start. Shinso came out of one of the tunnels on one side of the arena whilst Izumi came out of the other tunnel on the opposite end.

Midnight asked if the two were ready and I could see both of them nod their heads. Izumi made the first move, familiar green sparks coming off her body as she ran towards Shinso. Shinso seemed unfazed by Izumi's sudden speed and he started talking. I could hear what he was saying, but Shoji and Jiro seemed to be listening to what he was saying.

Shinso was able to narrowly dodge Izumi's attacks as he seemed to be panicking slightly since Izumi wasn't responding. Shinso knew that he couldn't beat Izumi in a direct fight, so he had to try and get her to respond to him. Then, Shinso seemed to get an idea while he was dodging an a punch from Izumi.

He said something which caused Izumi to jolt. She opened her mouth and started saying something, but was immediately put under control of Shinso's quirk. Shinso seemed to calm down as he relaxed shoulders.

'You shouldn't relax until the fight is over,' I thought, 'Even if it seems like you've won, you should never let your guard down on the battlefield.'

Shinso commanded Izumi to turn around and walk out of the arena to which she complied. She started walking towards the edge of the ring. I could see that Shinso had a smirk on his face as Izumi neared the edge. A lot of the audience was confused as to what was going on, but everyone in Class 1-A knew exactly what was happening.

I was slightly disappointed. Izumi was definitely the greatest threat to out plans among the students, but if she was disqualified now, then I wouldn't be able to get any notes on her. Suddenly, just as Izumi was about to step out of the arena, air exploded in every direction from her hand. I looked closer and I could barely see that two of her fingers were broken.