<4>Birthday

"I want to be deserving of you, but then I won't be me"

"Is everybody already there?" Mom asked, leaning more on the doorway, as she judgmentally stared at my outfit.

I sighed, knowing that she was technically procrastinating all the pretty remarks her daughter would get after the other guests see her.

"Yeah, I guess so. My phone won't stop buzzing."

And instinctively, the phone lit up to show another notification. Apart from all the people invited to Tori's Birthday party littering twitter and instagram with their 'At Tori's party', 'Enjoying Tori's party', Yada Yada Yada, even the birthday girl herself hasn't stopped spamming me with messages. With this being our graduating year, Tori wanted to specifically thank everyone of our batch for the last two years, though I hardly think that they did anything except succumb for help. Yet she invited all the students, be it the jocks or the nerds, for which the house is going to be stuffier than usual. Tori's parents didn't mind it, for they like their daughter loved people.

Not like my parents don't, they believe I'm a product of their recessive factors with my introvert personality. I don't even step out of my room on my birthday, lest throw a full-blown party at my parent's house.

Even more surprisingly, everybody will be present at the party. I guess that Tori was that lovable, people were willing to go through an hour's drive to wish Tori a Happy birthday. The one thing I couldn't imagine myself to be.

I pulled my hair into a tight high bun, tucking a few locks behind my ear. Smiling, I stared at the girl in the mirror. "Perfect!"

"Oh no no," I turned around to see my mom shaking her head. In her hands was none other than a bright blue scarf. "Atleast, wear this, you look like the typical goth girl off the street."

"What's wrong If I am?" I cheekily smiled as I grabbed my still buzzing phone and Tori's gift and then sprinted out of the house.

My mom didn't even bother chasing me, and instead she shouted at my dissappearing figure down the stairs, "Don't be out late, and don't get drunk! Call me if you need a ride back."

My dad had allowed me to use his car, as I got my driving license earlier this year. Yet, he refused to buy me one of my own, stating that I've to buy one myself in the future after I get a well-paid job.

I started the car, and steered it towards the road. Yelling a "Bye!" at my mom in return for a "Stay safe!", I drove to Tori's home.

I knew that I was close to the place even when I was two blocks away. Lous bass music plundered the neighbourhood and I knew that Tori's parents were in huge trouble.

I parked the car a few houses away so that any other car won't block the path away. And also so that I could flee if I needed to all of a sudden. Being claustrophobic sucks highly.

"JINAH!" Tori screamed over the music as she moved away from a group and ran over to me.

I hugged her tightly, whispering a "Happy Birthday bestie". She smiled wholeheartedly as she returned the hug, "Thank you bestie!"

She tugged my sleeve, moving towards the centre of the house. We push-passed the hordes of students, moving to the centre of the room.

Finally coming to where Tori's parents stood, a huge table in the middle and a large cake flashing a "Happy 21 Tortori!". Tortori was the nickname I gave her when we were young, teasing her how she ran slower than me. But she went faster when Jeon Jungkook came up though.

Brushing off the negative thoughts I cheered for the excited girl as she hopped towards the cake. Then it struck me. Jeon Jungkook. Where is that guy? 

I craned my neck around the room to spot the dark haired guy I've grown familiar with for the past two years, among the crowd. His tall stature can surely catch my eye. I memorised every inch of him, I can recognize him anywhere. But no, Jeon Jungkook isn't here.

He did say that he'll be late but I didn't imagine this late. Tori is gonna cut the birthday cake soon. Is he seriously going to miss his girlfriend's birthday? It's weird cause he had never done this before. I looked at Tori to see her also searching the crowd. She must've noticed Jungkook's absence. It hurts when someone who had been by you all the time be suddenly absent during one's special moments. I felt for Tori, so in went over and squeezed her shoulder. She just smiled at me, though it didn't reach get eyes.

Whisking my phone out, I sent a missed call to his number, frowning as I see the last text between us was half an year ago. It was probably for the best. Tucking it back in my jeans pocket, I grin before clapping loudly, trying my best to cheer. I just hoped people would follow suit and not embarass me by going silent.

Tori smiled widely and I smiled subsequently at how her eyes twinkled when all the batch mates cheered and clapped for her. This is what I wanted, she needed to love herself.

Tori grabbed the knife and cut the cake as I screamed, with people at the back singing the birthday song.

The pain in my hands didn't bother now, I was clapping even more loudly like I was trying to overtake the loud music. If Jeon Jungkook isn't here, I am. That's what best friends are for right?

A/N:You can say that I'm trying to make up for all the time I was gone. You're gonna see more frequent updates ;)