Ch 26

From my mother's family there was left only an aunt: the older twin sister of my mother, aunt Vinca Winkle.

She was a traveler, and she and mother had met one another several times through the years, even when they both were separated traveling on their own.

She was also married, to a man twice her age who quit the position of Imperial Captain of his Kingdom to take on her surname and follow her in her travels instead.

Raphael Eddington had been his name before he chose to leave his surname. He hadn't wanted to keep it, being the last one of his family, after the recent war in his country lost him his last nephew. At least, this is what I understood after reflecting on his stories once I grew up a little.

They had only one daughter, little Dorea Winkle with the same red hair that belonged to my mother and her twin -despite their tendency to cover it with dyes-. Sadly, they didn't have anymore children before uncle Raphael died, and my cousin Dorea, whom I had met but a couple of times, died of illness before she reached three years of age.

Aunt Vinca was a nice person, who made sure to send us presents from all the places she visited, but avoided to come into Elnea. I think I can understand it; it wouldn't be easy, considering how much was growing the family, for her to come. To see what could have been hers too, if not for the tragedy that struck the Winkles.

Today I write about her, wanting to leave record of her existence and her family's, now that news of her passing has reached us. Because even if the Winkle name has died out, I think it's important for it to be remembered; to let know the future generations that they were our family too.