Ch 67

Dana's way of teaching Nivyen was quite more hands-off than mine when it came to her and her brothers; Nivyen was a sweet boy that was always running off to where only Shiznee would know, coming back scruffy and with small injuries that marked his skin lightly before they dissappeared.

She did understand what would be his position within the family, so she did not oppose of my teaching him our customs, how to understand politics, how to welcome newborns or to correctly assist a departure for those of us too old to persist on living.

The first one he assisted me saying goodbye to was uncle Ure, his great-great uncle. It wasn't a great loss to him, given he hadn't really know him, but spending his last hours together with him, I assume, made it easier for him to understand the sadness both Hubert and Klaus felt; from then on they became even closer.

He was eight at that time, and took to his duties seriously, even before uncle Ure passed away. After that he was a bit more circumspect, and dare I say it, reflective. He started asking questions I wouldn't have expected from a boy his age.

He even asked about this book I write in; this which will be part of the duties he'll inherit from me. He'll be the first of hopefully many to read this improvised retelling of what was my life. From time to time I do wonder if maybe aren't I putting too much pressure on his small shoulders.