Ch 30

The first family meetings I attended weren't very big, since at the time there were only grandpa, my parents, Shirley, uncle Milo with his wife and their first two daughters and aunt Zoe, back when she had yet to meet uncle Ure and was still one of Shiznee's Acolytes.

Doing the math now, I realize we were only nine! Nowadays we amount to easily almost trice that number. As I write this I know that we'll grow even more, partially because that's my prerrogative: to make the Rostand into a big, dependable family so that we can withstand any war, any possible conflict that could break out in the future.

I can't help but remember grandpa's stories, about how he met granmama and took on her surname because she was the last Rostand out there. I'm sure she would have liked to see our family as it is now.

Thinking about it, that narrative of losing family is one that repeats itself about my relatives.

My mother and her sister, the last of the surname Winkle; aunt Vinca's husband who was also the last of his family; aunt Jolene and her older brother Gorka, whose surname were originally Rolfo, lost to their marriages, even if they reinforced their bloodline by marrying off cousin Vicky with Gorka's second son, Austin Rostand nee Romanenko.

I supose that loss is a part of life, but I still try to make it difficult for our family to completely disappear.