Ch 71

When Nivyen reached twelve years of age he surprised us all by changing the way he brushed his hair. In the past he had let it fall flat, covering his brow and cutting it so it wouldn't get in the way of his eyes. However for his birthday he brushed part of it to a side, getting a more elegant look to himself, and decided to keep it henceforth. To me it only highlighted the differences between him, with his father's straight hair, and Ninive, his younger brother whom inherited Dana's riotous curls. To give him a more mature presence.

I myself was surprised for the chance to see him grow up so well, being at the time around 63 years old. With this I mean that I felt well, but couldn't really accept that I was already older than Shirley would ever be.

On one hand it was a treat; not only did I watch over my grandchildren, but also my grandnieces and grandnephews.

It reassured me that they would be alright, but also let me feel the weight of the Family in ways I had never felt before.

After aunt Zoe passed away, Vicky and I were the oldest in the family; no more shoulders to cry on but ours, not a more experienced ear to confide in. That was our place now, to provide advice and regale the youngers with stories about those who came before us, a mix between people we knew and people who had been mere tales for us.

It didn't help that Vicky's husband, Austin, parted for Ganos soon after with barely 64 years to his name, not a day after my dear Azalea too left us.

I did what I could, to support my cousin and also Azalea's daughters, but I was no more a woman with infinite energy.

And after that, the first friend I made in my life, younger than myself, also died. Abraham had been Godwin's cousin, and a dear companion; though a little bit arrogant in our youth, he never called me names or told me that I was boring, as had done others before him.