Ch 40

I had hoped for Dana's first official act as my Heiress to be a birth or a marriage. For her to welcome a new life into the fold.

She had to help uncle Milo in his departure of this land instead, as per our traditions. As the moment of their death gets closer, the current Family Head and the Heiress keep them company, taking care that they're well-fed and as happy as they can up to the point when they can't keep going.

My sweet Dana distracted uncle Milo with stories of bugs and her adventures with her cousin Briana, sharing a lunch box with him. I was tearful while watching them, I'll admit. Time flew by, I reflected, when it seemed like yesterday that cousin Debbie was born, and he and aunt Jolene still had their heads untouched by white.

Aunt Jolene didn't survive him for much; we buried her the very next day we did her husband. She passed away in her sleep, tragedy hitting doubly upon us for not expecting it. Cousin Debbie, the youngest of their children -barely 20 years old-, was suddenly living alone and depressed, not wanting to live with any of the family since we all had children to take care of, until mother put the foot down and made her agree to living for a few days together with her and Aaron. We all breathed easier for it.

It was quite sad, how of the previous generation only mother, aunt Zoe and uncle Ure were left, all alone. No parents, no siblings left, only themselves and us, the younger generation, doing our best through the loss.

To me it seemed so wrong, the way my cousins had lost both their parents in two days. At the very least after my father's death my mother had kept on living, which had been actually helpful for me to rekindle my relationship with her.

Naaga guard them.