Ch 56

While we had spoken about betrothing Ramona and Nivyen, a contract hadn't yet beet written, much less signed.

Minnie was pregnant once again, and there was hope that she'd give birth to another daughter; if so Ramona could still be her Heiress and the second one would be the one betrothen to Dana's son.

I was happy for it, it was a bright spot after Shirley's departure, but I could not help but feeling a tad detached.

Waiting for a new grandchild wasn't the same without Shirley besides me to make little gifts for the baby, to wonder about them or place bets on their gender.

The birth of Vicky's third -and last- child was what knocked me out of that state of shock I was in. Both my cousin and aunt Zoe were there to hold me through my despair for Shirley, my self-recriminations.

Godwin was also there, it's true, but I had certain difficulty letting him see the extent of my sadness.

I was, after all, the Head of our family, a powerful Knight, in line to become the Imperial Captain, and Roselyan, while more a young adult than a child, was living with us and I didn't want him to ever see me as depressed as I was, so actually letting go at home was not an option.

Aunt Zoe's home however was inhabited only by her and uncle Ure since their two daughters got married and acquired living places for their own familiar units.

It was comforting to have them.

Little Bryan was a sweet boy, showing most of the time a gummy smile to whoever looked at him.