Ch 68

In the autumn of her 76 years aunt Zoe passed away.

I was with her and Nivyen, guarding her last hours and taking care of her needs, sad to watch her presence diminish in a house in which only her lived anymore. To be a participant of this part is even more heartbreaking than when the priest actually gives leave to go to Naaga: they're tired, and even lonely despite our best efforts.

She gave Nivyen her thanks for helping her grandchildren and asked him to held his head high. "You couldn't have a better example than your grandmother", she said. "She took on the Headship at 17 and has been tirelessly working towards the betterment of our Family, to my mother's pride, Naaga guard her. Already you have the marks to become a magnificent Heir, carrying within you the legacies of your grandmother and great-grandmother Viana, youngest Dragoon, Gurú and Seated Councillour. I have faith in you, Nivyen Wilson of the Rostand".

A cough at the end of that sentence derailed that conversation, and thankfully it wasn't started again, but I knew already that those words would stay with my grandson, surely for the rest of his life.

Ironic how it worried me, the first to put such high expectations on him; I who once also wanted to break free of such sackles and forgo my responsabilities to my Family.

And while now I can proudly, truthfully say I had a good life, it wasn't stress-free nor was I unwavering - like any other person I've had doubts and worries clouding my reason.

At this point I only have this journal left as a last resource to let him know he'll have my support from Ganos, whatever his decissions may end being. He will bend but not break, helped by my teachings and the support of his family.

I wasn't alone, and he won't be too.