A cold night

It was a cold and starry night when I first met Cassian. The icy stars swiweled on the dark sky and the cold light of the moon was all that lit up the crispy, frosty woods. I was home alone and the night seemed gentle and enernal, so I stood in the door to my dark house and looked out into the moonlit woods. 

The shadows seemed to reach for me but it was not scary; everything was sereen. I can't have been more than eight but somehow I was not afraid of it. Something in the deep shadows lured me out and before I knew it I had wandered far into the cold night. 

The stars glowed above me, the lake kissed their reflection and the string thin tree trunks stood quiet and tall. All was still. Suddenly something moved in the shadows. A darkness slid past, just out of sight. I turned instanty and looked around for the way home. 

When I realized I was lost I panicked and sprang myself at the nearest shadow. Against a fallen tree I curled up and tried to hide in its darkness. Trembling I lay there hoping that whatever it was it would go away. 

But something had lured it into the night. Something made it stay at the little lake sniffing in the midnight air. I heard the breath of another wolf and held my own in hope that it wouldn't find me. But the moon hade already decided. 

Without a sound it appeared before me. I marveled at the size of my finder. His fur was darker than the shadows and his eyes brighter than the moon. They glittered like the stars themselves and I was too mesmerized to be scared. A big scar ran over his left eye but I was stuck in his gaze. 

I don't remember how my body reacted to the smell of his pheromones. I was too young to make anything out from it. All I remember is the scent of frozen night and him. The pain of his mark upon my neck has faded like all memory of pain does. But the fear of his wild, savage eyes could will never leave me. 

As I place my palm against the cold window glass it is all I remember.