It can't be true

I hear his breaths from the next room and despite the icy pain in my chest it still calms me. It's unfair, really. Having him close does something to me even though I fear him, even though he hates me. 

I hold my sobs in so that the tears will trickle down without him hearing. If he knew how much this hurt our little lie would burst, and we have lived on it for so long that I don't think our relationship would survive it. What relationship? 

We were never friends. He marked me and then dragged me to his mother who informed us that we were now bonded mates. I remember him screaming that she was wrong, that he could never have a mate. I remember my dad barging into the pack house and yanking me from her grip. I didn't cry until he got there. I don't know why. All I remember is him saying It can't be true. It can't be true. It can't be true. 

Now I remember that dreadful day with pain and betrayal in my chest. How could the moon be so cruel? 

I might be an annoyance to Scar but he is unfairly cruel to me. Why would the moon make my mate a cruel wolf?  

This time I'm not the one who falls asleep first. I lie awake until I hear his breathing calm down into that sleepy state. As quiet as a mouse I tip-toe over to the window and let the freezing night air in. The black night is smooth and safe outside. The stars and the moon shine brightly and I wonder if my future is worth this. In the end, will I be happy? Will there be love and kindness? 

My tears have stopped now and I just stand there feeling the snowy night's darkness and the wet strands on my cheeks. I like to imagine that my mom can see me in the dark. That she is part of the night. In truth I barely remember her. She is as foreign to me as the moon. But tonight I imagine her out there, keeping me company while I dry my tears. 

Tonight everything seems stranger than normal. Maybe because I'm not sleeping in my own bed or because I finally know just how little he cares about me. Or maybe I'm just sensing death. Who knows? I know only that dad would miss me.