Death

Scar's POV 

It takes me too long to realize that the house has gone quiet. My head is filled with everything that has been wrong ever since I met Elmer, so my jumbled thoughts distract me from the fact that I can't even smell him. 

Already knowing that something is off I search the downstairs but he is nowhere. My heart speeds up its angry beating. His shoes lie on the floor and so I'm sure that he couldn't have gone out. But my anxious hand trows open the doors and I peer out. Ferouciously my eyes track every corner of the dark garden to the treeline. There are no tracks in the snow and no indication for his presence out there. But I have this feeling. Something is creeping around inside me, telling me that something is wrong. 

I slam the door behind me and rush out. My fancy shoes sink into the thick snow and I can't imagine how he could have walked though this. But I also know that he has a strange fascination with the woods at night. Curse it! Why did he leave?! I thought for a second that maybe I could pull myself together and talk to him. Explain. 

Instead I run through the snow in every direction I see but the woods are dark and endless. My human form is slow but I'm so stressed out I don't even think to change. The wild thing inside seems to creep further and further out into every limb until it has wrapped itself around my heart and almost taken me over. I push it back. No need to think about it. All I need is to find him. 

Tall trees, snow and moon lit snow surround me. He is nowhere to be found. The very air I taste is cold and smell of frost. My feet make the snow crunch but everything else is quiet. Why is he not here? Why can't I find him?! 

My breathing is ragged and hasty with panic. With every intake of the freezing oxygen I feel the thing inside grow wilder and angrier until it fills me, threatening to be released. 

"ELMER!" I roar as loud as my raspy throat lets me. Nothing but the silence of the night answers. I sink to my knees and howl in desperation. The surge of the thing inside fades back a little bit in the face of my overwhelming sorrow. 

This cannot be it. I have lost him before I got to explain.