Alpha or not

A row of the warriors stand guard around the Alpha's mansion where the ceremony is about to be held. Some guests are already here. The young daughter of the the pack of Ilena's alpha is arguing with our cheif warrior Sam. 

"Why can't we come inside? It's really cold out here. I have people who are hurt with me" Nala argues but our cheif warrior just shakes his head. 

"The alpha doesn't want anyone inside until the ceremony. You are all welcome to wait in the pack house" Sam explains as if he's told her at least twice already. 

"Fine" she mutters and stomps down the path that leads back to the pack house. She sees me and her face softens a bit. 

"There is one of the mates. Elmer, right?" Nala asks me, ignoring the glare of the alpha's mother. 

"Yes. Are you alright?" I ask as if I could change the alpha's orders. 

"Yes, I just don't understand why your alpha is being so secretive about this. It's like you're hiding something" she pries, practically pointing a dagger at my throat. She is way too celever for her own good. 

"N-no. It's just that he want's this to be big. I think. Or something" I studder out, sounding more suspicious than a fox in a hen house. 

"We've all waited for this a long time" Sarah informs her, untruthfully, finishing the conversation with an athority that cannot be denied. I nod apologetically at Nala who psuhes her dark hair away and gives me a pitying look. Fear jolts through me. What if she knows?! But there is no way she can. 

Sarah gives me a push in the pack, gently but firmly and we make our way past Sam who bows his head respectfully for the luna. 

Dana fixes my hair and then my clothes and then my hair again until I feel like a walking doll. After decades of fixing I'm allowed to wait in the big hall where i melt into an armchair with a cup of tea in my hand a and a headache that keeps reminding me of life's meninglessness. 

Needless to say my mind is unprepared when Scar flows though the door with the alpha behind him and pushing his mother in her wheelchair. The black suit my mate is wearing has a blueish tone to it and his dark hair glistens like a starry night. He looks stunning in many ways and I can't take my eyes off of him. Something in me becomes warm with the thought of knowing he is mine. 

But he isn't really. 

I let myself look at him but the warmth dies to the hand of something cold. I know better than to be fooled by the beautiful promise of the dark. I know that the shadows are cold and dangerous. 

The alpha stops Scar before he flings the garden doors open. We all know that he won't like the flowery ceremony prerperations out there. Simon stops him with a hand on his arm. If I touched Scar that way I don't know what he would do. 

But we both know I would never dare to do that. 

"Wait here for a second" Simon orders him and he really does stop there, waiting for his alpha to allow him. Simon releases the empty cup of tea from my hand and I realize I've been clutching it painfully tight. The warm eyes of my alpha shine with fatherly love and I almost want to lean against his shoulder and cry. Even though he is barely older than me. 

The rapid beating of the muscle in my chest is the only sound in my ears and the room seems to darken around me. Until Simon places his other hand on my arm. His palm is broad and warm and seems to posses more strength than the rest of him combined. He will protect me.  

Or so I think for a moment before I realize that he is about to lead me out to the garden toghether with Scar, that he was the one who decided we should have the ceremony. For a second I can't hide it. Tears well up in my eyes as I understand that my alpha, the one who is supposed to protect me from all evil, knows what my mate is like to me.